Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Hi Forum,

a friend of mine want to buy a non-mini iPad. Our local reseller has both the new one, and the 3rd gen in stock, with a 120 euro discount on the 3rd. Is the 4th gen worth an extra 120 euro in terms of performance? We've seen the benchmarks, but are their any people out there who have tried/owned them both and can comment on the difference with regards to everyday usage?

Thank you!

daudi

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Hi Forum,

a friend of mine want to buy a non-mini iPad. Our local reseller has both the new one, and the 3rd gen in stock, with a 120 euro discount on the 3rd. Is the 4th gen worth an extra 120 euro in terms of performance? We've seen the benchmarks, but are their any people out there who have tried/owned them both and can comment on the difference with regards to everyday usage?

Thank you!

the ipad 4 is way too good and faster than the ipad 3. if u are willing to buy an ipad, then go for the 4th gen because Apple has imprved the procesor of the ipad 4 with few more hardware changes. therefore, ipad 4 would be the best option.

officially apple has kicked ipad 3 from the web of its own and replaced it with ipad 4.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
the ipad 4 is way too good and faster than the ipad 3. if u are willing to buy an ipad, then go for the 4th gen because Apple has imprved the procesor of the ipad 4 with few more hardware changes. therefore, ipad 4 would be the best option.

officially apple has kicked ipad 3 from the web of its own and replaced it with ipad 4.

Yeah after searching some more on youtube, he's going with the 4.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I'd agree. Personally, I didn't find enough of a difference to justify an upgrade from 3 to 4, but if you are buying something new (not upgrading), the 4 is the obvious choice (in my opinion).

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Thing is, you can buy a used iPad 3 for insanely cheap. If you are buying new, sure. iPad 3 is a better deal if you want to put in the effort. There's really no practical difference unless you are doing Flyover in Apple Maps, or want to consolidate on the Lightning connector.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have the iPad 4 and compared it to my 3rd generation while I still had it. I wasn't impressed with the difference in speed for web browsing. However if buying new and not upgrading from the iPad 3 I would pay the extra and get the 4 for the faster processor.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.