Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 27, 2013, 11:28 AM   #326
Oletros
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
Samsung is the leading Android OEM, yet they were not chosen to produce the Nexus line. This sorta pushed the development of Tizen forward it's Androids largest OEM telling Google they really don't need them. Now that Google has Moto mobility we have a nice little Mexican stand off.
Well, they developed Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and are the developers of the Nexus 10
Old May 27, 2013, 12:15 PM   #327
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonix View Post
But there are surely other operating systems that would have taken Androids place. The most obvious being Windows phone. And the lower prices is also a result of the technology maturing.

Tizen is interesting in that Google uses the Android trademark and it's market, and other services "as a club" to make sure OEMs do what they want (from the Open governance index). Modified versions of Android needs to be certified, meaning the access to services and the trademark is seen as something attractive to OEMs, the app market in particular I would say.

But I think other emerging platforms are more interesting. Why should OEMs that aren't interested in Google or google's services use Android at all? There is Ubuntu for mobiles and Firefox OS and the new OS from former Nokia crew, Sailfish.
I'm sure there could have been but they didn't and it's history.

My personal hope is Tizen goes forward that'll take sammy and their partner to that corner.

Nokia and MS get more cozy

Google continues it's relationship with HTC (if they survive) and continues to push moto out there.

and Timmy and Co. keep on with iOS.

FF OS will likely not take it's too late and doesn't have a niche.

I'd like to Canonical and Ubuntu score in both ARM and x86 tablets to take a bite out of both Apple and MS..
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 02:50 PM   #328
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Well, they developed Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and are the developers of the Nexus 10
you are correct, I'll be less inclusive next time.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 08:47 PM   #329
Jimmiray
macrumors newbie

Sad Face

Sadly they can can patent the ideas and do nothing with them for years or never. then when someone actually innovates you swoop in and sue their ass for your idea that was going no where. its crappy, but for better or worse Samsung, google and the gang seem to be the ones trying new things. Perhaps its the benefit of having several companies working on android rather than one.
Jimmiray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 12:06 AM   #330
skratch77
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
Samsung is the leading Android OEM, yet they were not chosen to produce the Nexus line. This sorta pushed the development of Tizen forward it's Androids largest OEM telling Google they really don't need them. Now that Google has Moto mobility we have a nice little Mexican stand off.
What do you mean? Samsung has made the most nexus devices over any other maker.

Nexus S
Galaxy Nexus
GS4 Nexus edition
Samsung Nexus 10 tablet

Samsung has made 4 pure bread nexus devices
skratch77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 09:02 AM   #331
samcraig
macrumors G5

regarding spiffs - please keep in mind that Apple contracts carriers to sell a certain amount. In other words - if they don't - the carriers EAT the cost. So even though the salesmen might not get a spiff, the carrier are certainly going to make sure they aren't eating costs. So there's an incentive to sell iPhone JUST like there's an incentive to sell Android phones.
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 12:24 PM   #332
gpat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Yeah cause the lawyers are also the engineers
No, 'cause the money for the laywers is also the money for the engineers. And either gets paid by the customers. Which would you rather pay for?
Old May 28, 2013, 02:55 PM   #333
blackcrayon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kis View Post
Google Now has been using Geofencing for year and a half now. Apple just introduced that in iOS 6
As a system wide API though. And Apple introduced Geofencing in iOS 5, not 6. Proving again that the "who did it first" stuff is a useless exercise because there are an infinite # of details that go along with any kind of implementation.
blackcrayon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 02:58 PM   #334
ceva321
macrumors regular

Location: New York City is where my heart is but now living in Delray Beach FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvergun View Post
Really? Samsung did not have to innovate...and look where they are now.

All they had to do is copy everything Apple did, then they paid some students to post false information, and bam, instant success. Nice.

But we both know that Apple is winning, don't we? Sure, Samsung is selling more units, but Apple is making more money.

http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2012/0...rtphone-sales/
ceva321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion