Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 7, 2013, 04:05 AM   #1
Vettori13
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Buying a Refurbished 2013 13" rMBP

Hey everyone,

I live in New Zealand and I am very interested in purchasing a rMBP.

I find that they are a little bit too expensive at their current prices but refurbished ones make the 13' rMBP very appealing.

Due to the better graphics performance of Haswell processors I am only looking at the new rMBP's that should be announced on the 10th.

I want the 256GB model with the stock processor. How long do you think I may have to wait before I can pick up a model such as this from the refurbished store? I know that it can vary a lot but I at least want to know how long it takes usually for new models to make it to the refurbished store.

Thanks.
Vettori13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 09:46 AM   #2
old-wiz
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Suburban Boston Ma
It usually takes a few months for new models to show up in refurb. I would guess a 2 month minimum.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 01:52 AM   #3
ghoti
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I am assuming you are as disappointed as I am that Haswell did not get integrated into the rMBP yet...
ghoti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:08 AM   #4
Vettori13
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
I am assuming you are as disappointed as I am that Haswell did not get integrated into the rMBP yet...
Extremely, haha. I think I will have to be patient though because it's best to not rush into buying a computer you are not 100% happy with
Vettori13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:48 PM   #5
ghoti
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettori13 View Post
Extremely, haha. I think I will have to be patient though because it's best to not rush into buying a computer you are not 100% happy with
I agree -- I have been waiting 6 years though and I just can't wait any longer, so I pulled the trigger on a rMBP refurb today.
ghoti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:35 AM   #6
tgi
macrumors 6502a
 
tgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
I agree -- I have been waiting 6 years though and I just can't wait any longer, so I pulled the trigger on a rMBP refurb today.
I hope 6 years is being sarcastic.
tgi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:39 PM   #7
ghoti
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgi View Post
I hope 6 years is being sarcastic.
Nope. I just mean that I have been using a late-2006 C2D as my only machine since 2007.
ghoti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:58 PM   #8
Vettori13
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
Nope. I just mean that I have been using a late-2006 C2D as my only machine since 2007.
Well that should be a massive step up! I have been using a Dell Vostro 1510 since mid-2008 so, as you can imagine, the wait feels like a long one haha.
Vettori13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 01:15 AM   #9
darcyjames
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettori13 View Post
Well that should be a massive step up! I have been using a Dell Vostro 1510 since mid-2008 so, as you can imagine, the wait feels like a long one haha.
Yeesh, then a 6 month wait (or so) for a refurb rMBP 13 with Haswell and ac shouldn't be a big deal!

Although, maybe you're hanging on a by thread and need something NOW. I picked up a current 8GB 256GB 13"rMBP for $1359 and love it. Also sold my overkill 15"rMBP and bought a Thunderbolt display and my kids a MBA (2012 refurb). TMI probably
__________________
15"rMBP 2.6i7/16/512, 11"MBA i7/4/128, 21.5" iMac i7/8/500, 2TB Tcap, w/2APexpress, iPad 3rd/64, iPhone5/Bk/32, atv1,2,3, iPodVideo5.1/30 
darcyjames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 01:31 PM   #10
ghoti
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettori13 View Post
Well that should be a massive step up! I have been using a Dell Vostro 1510 since mid-2008 so, as you can imagine, the wait feels like a long one haha.
Absolutley it is -- both a big step up and a long wait!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyjames View Post
Yeesh, then a 6 month wait (or so) for a refurb rMBP 13 with Haswell and ac shouldn't be a big deal!

Although, maybe you're hanging on a by thread and need something NOW. I picked up a current 8GB 256GB 13"rMBP for $1359 and love it. Also sold my overkill 15"rMBP and bought a Thunderbolt display and my kids a MBA (2012 refurb). TMI probably
Yeah, actually a 6 month wait would be a huge deal at this point. I have to give my display a little "reach-around" to make it work about half of the time (I'm sure some connector is loose and I need to get inside the MB and re-secure it)... also I have a number of big projects to complete in the next 3 months and I need something that can handle the job and this MB isn't cutting it anymore.

I actually went for the same rMBP you are referring to -- the 13" 8/256. (I opted for the 2.6 refurb (instead of the 2.5) to get (possibly) improved internals.

I figure - at worst - if Haswell rMBPs come out in the next 6 months, I sell this book at a slight loss, suck it up as a "rental fee" and go Haswell if improvements are significant.
ghoti is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC