Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jun 7, 2013, 04:05 AM   #1
Vettori13
macrumors newbie

Buying a Refurbished 2013 13" rMBP

Hey everyone,

I live in New Zealand and I am very interested in purchasing a rMBP.

I find that they are a little bit too expensive at their current prices but refurbished ones make the 13' rMBP very appealing.

Due to the better graphics performance of Haswell processors I am only looking at the new rMBP's that should be announced on the 10th.

I want the 256GB model with the stock processor. How long do you think I may have to wait before I can pick up a model such as this from the refurbished store? I know that it can vary a lot but I at least want to know how long it takes usually for new models to make it to the refurbished store.

Thanks.
Vettori13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 09:46 AM   #2
old-wiz
macrumors 604

It usually takes a few months for new models to show up in refurb. I would guess a 2 month minimum.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 01:52 AM   #3
ghoti
macrumors member

I am assuming you are as disappointed as I am that Haswell did not get integrated into the rMBP yet...
ghoti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:08 AM   #4
Vettori13
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
I am assuming you are as disappointed as I am that Haswell did not get integrated into the rMBP yet...
Extremely, haha. I think I will have to be patient though because it's best to not rush into buying a computer you are not 100% happy with
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:48 PM   #5
ghoti
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettori13 View Post
Extremely, haha. I think I will have to be patient though because it's best to not rush into buying a computer you are not 100% happy with
I agree -- I have been waiting 6 years though and I just can't wait any longer, so I pulled the trigger on a rMBP refurb today.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:35 AM   #6
tgi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I agree -- I have been waiting 6 years though and I just can't wait any longer, so I pulled the trigger on a rMBP refurb today.
I hope 6 years is being sarcastic.
tgi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:39 PM   #7
ghoti
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgi View Post
I hope 6 years is being sarcastic.
Nope. I just mean that I have been using a late-2006 C2D as my only machine since 2007.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:58 PM   #8
Vettori13
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Nope. I just mean that I have been using a late-2006 C2D as my only machine since 2007.
Well that should be a massive step up! I have been using a Dell Vostro 1510 since mid-2008 so, as you can imagine, the wait feels like a long one haha.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 01:15 AM   #9
darcyjames
macrumors member

Quote:
Well that should be a massive step up! I have been using a Dell Vostro 1510 since mid-2008 so, as you can imagine, the wait feels like a long one haha.
Yeesh, then a 6 month wait (or so) for a refurb rMBP 13 with Haswell and ac shouldn't be a big deal!

Although, maybe you're hanging on a by thread and need something NOW. I picked up a current 8GB 256GB 13"rMBP for $1359 and love it. Also sold my overkill 15"rMBP and bought a Thunderbolt display and my kids a MBA (2012 refurb). TMI probably
Old Jun 16, 2013, 01:31 PM   #10
ghoti
macrumors member

Quote:
Absolutley it is -- both a big step up and a long wait!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyjames View Post
Yeesh, then a 6 month wait (or so) for a refurb rMBP 13 with Haswell and ac shouldn't be a big deal!

Although, maybe you're hanging on a by thread and need something NOW. I picked up a current 8GB 256GB 13"rMBP for $1359 and love it. Also sold my overkill 15"rMBP and bought a Thunderbolt display and my kids a MBA (2012 refurb). TMI probably
Yeah, actually a 6 month wait would be a huge deal at this point. I have to give my display a little "reach-around" to make it work about half of the time (I'm sure some connector is loose and I need to get inside the MB and re-secure it)... also I have a number of big projects to complete in the next 3 months and I need something that can handle the job and this MB isn't cutting it anymore.

I actually went for the same rMBP you are referring to -- the 13" 8/256. (I opted for the 2.6 refurb (instead of the 2.5) to get (possibly) improved internals.

I figure - at worst - if Haswell rMBPs come out in the next 6 months, I sell this book at a slight loss, suck it up as a "rental fee" and go Haswell if improvements are significant.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice