Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merachon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
UK
Hey guys,

I have Clear for Mac and iPhone, and love it, but for more in depth tasks I could do with something of a higher level.
Having looked at both the Things Demo and the 2Do demo, I don't really know which ones to choose...

Could you shed some light on the matter and tell me about your experiences with one, both or the other and why you went for one over the other, bearing in mind that I am getting the app for both Mac and iPhone

Thanks

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I use OmniFocus and SmallTask... not what you asked for, I know, but both work on mac and iPad. I've written out them here.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Both are good. 2DO is a less money and very much like Things. Maybe go with 2DO. It has some features above Things even though Things has been around for a long time.

I went with Things because I used it a long time ago before I needed a better syncing solution. Switched to OmniFocus but never got comfortable with it. Then used the Free Reminders App, then messed with Clear (No archiving feature) and finally got Things when they got Sync working. I like simple and clean Todo managers but Things had the power features I wanted without it being too complex.

Merachon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
UK
I use OmniFocus and SmallTask... not what you asked for, I know, but both work on mac and iPad. I've written out them here.

Thank you for the input, I have tried SmallTask, but got that refunded, as I found it not so much of in improvement over Reminders, and OmniFocus is simply out of the question due to the price of it.

At the moment I am sort of leaning towards 2Do as the iPhone app looks a fair bit better than the Things app for streamlined productivity

----------

Both are good. 2DO is a less money and very much like Things. Maybe go with 2DO. It has some features above Things even though Things has been around for a long time.

I went with Things because I used it a long time ago before I needed a better syncing solution. Switched to OmniFocus but never got comfortable with it. Then used the Free Reminders App, then messed with Clear (No archiving feature) and finally got Things when they got Sync working. I like simple and clean Todo managers but Things had the power features I wanted without it being too complex.

Thanks, have you had any experience with 2Do, and what features does Things have in your opinion that make it better than 2Do?

Thank you for your prompt response to the thread posting, its nice to have such a quick response base as MacRumors Forums

PeteTM

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
I use 2do and like it much better than any other I've tried. I like the ability to sort by date, add task types, and it's easy to change dates.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Thank you for the input, I have tried SmallTask, but got that refunded, as I found it not so much of in improvement over Reminders, and OmniFocus is simply out of the question due to the price of it.

At the moment I am sort of leaning towards 2Do as the iPhone app looks a fair bit better than the Things app for streamlined productivity

----------

Thanks, have you had any experience with 2Do, and what features does Things have in your opinion that make it better than 2Do?

Thank you for your prompt response to the thread posting, its nice to have such a quick response base as MacRumors Forums

2Do has nice color and the calendar in the corner and the all the features that Things has that I can see at a lower price. The lists have counts too. I wish I would have gotten 2Do instead of Things. It seems like Things 3.0. I don't own 2Do but my experience is only from what I have seen it do.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I have been using Things for many months now and never felt need for a replacement.

Very accessible and simple to use. Allows you to schedule almost anything in no time, it's easy to set up multiple projects and has filing system.

It's integrated with reminders, works with Siri and has it's own cloud so you have all devices in sync.

I have never used 2Do, so I really can't say which ones better.:)

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
2Do on iOS is excellent

2Do for Mac may work well on its own. BUT ...

Syncing between 2Do on iOS and 2Do for the Mac is a DISASTER. Every two days you end up needing to go to Advanced options on the Mac app, select 'replace local data' as a sync option, and then getting the devices to sync once more.

It's as if the Mac App can't cope with missing a sync by the iOS app. If two iOS syncs happen without a Mac App sync (perhaps because your laptop is out of power / wifi, it fails, and then continues to fail until you wipe the 'local' data on the app.

The iOS app continues to work by itself however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.