Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Dropbox and multiple accounts?

Is there an app that lets you sign in to multiple accounts like the official twitter app does

I know you can share folders between accounts but im not looking for that

The official dropbox app doesnt allow multiple accounts unless you unlink the account then sign back in

Im looking for an app that lets you stay logged in to multiple accounts

Is there an app for that ?
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:37 AM   #2
Dkorda
macrumors 6502

Good luck
Dkorda is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:51 AM   #3
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkorda View Post
Good luck
LOL what?

There was talk about it a year ago on the dropbox forums but I don't think any developer designed any such app.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:02 AM   #4
Stealthipad
Banned

I think it would be more easy to move your files onto one account.
Stealthipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:30 AM   #5
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

You can share folders between the accounts. Just create a central folder on your Dropbox account on your iPhone - then, make it shareable to all your other accounts.

That way, people on other accounts to read/add files to the shareable folder.

Members of my band currently do this.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:44 PM   #6
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
You can share folders between the accounts. Just create a central folder on your Dropbox account on your iPhone - then, make it shareable to all your other accounts.

That way, people on other accounts to read/add files to the shareable folder.

Members of my band currently do this.
One is a personal account & the other is a work account

So that won't work
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
One is a personal account & the other is a work account
This is certainly reasonable, but such a feature would also make it easier for people to just double up on free accounts and get more space without paying.

As such, I suspect Dropbox wouldn't be very friendly towards any app that tried to implement this.

It's a shame, but I suspect that's the situation.

What I suggest is using two different apps. Like, use the official Dropbox app for home and then log in to the work account with something like this.

Make a shared folder between the accounts for moving stuff back and forth.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:28 AM   #8
tuyentalent
macrumors newbie

see vendor information in user profile
I think this app can help you: http://airfileapp.tumblr.com/ - AirFile supports multiple Dropbox accounts, dual-pane file browsing, and most of file operations — delete, rename, move, copy, upload, download, share, preview, restore, arrange, sort files.
Support: http://airfile.uservoice.com

Last edited by tuyentalent; Jan 4, 2014 at 12:27 AM. Reason: new domain for the app
tuyentalent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:15 AM   #9
bitter.lizard
macrumors newbie

Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuyentalent View Post
I think this app can help you: http://www.getairfile.com/ - AirFile supports multiple Dropbox accounts, dual-pane file browsing, and most of file operations delete, rename, move, copy, upload, download, share, preview, restore, arrange, sort files.
This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for as I use dropbox for work and my personal life constantly - saved me countless hours of logging in and out of different accounts!!

ROCK ON.
bitter.lizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:25 PM   #10
saberahul
macrumors 68040

ReaddleDocs, PDF Expert, GoodReader, iFile, etc.

You can set up multiple accounts on your iOS device to download, sync, upload, and transfer between accounts.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:08 AM   #11
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuyentalent View Post
I think this app can help you: http://www.getairfile.com/ - AirFile supports multiple Dropbox accounts, dual-pane file browsing, and most of file operations delete, rename, move, copy, upload, download, share, preview, restore, arrange, sort files.
This is perfect! Great find, thanks!
iThinkergoiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:53 AM   #12
jredecop
macrumors 6502

Wow, awesome app!!
jredecop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2013, 11:11 AM   #13
eyoungren
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
This is certainly reasonable, but such a feature would also make it easier for people to just double up on free accounts and get more space without paying.
Dropbox has the ability to keep track of things via IP address. They do this to prevent the creation of multiple email addresses with the intent to send invitations to yourself which increase the size of your Dropbox.

While they certainly COULD via this IP method prevent registration of multiple Dropbox accounts under a single IP address - they don't.

Glad the OP found a solution though.

BTW, off-topic, but it's possible to run more than one instance of Dropbox on one Mac. I do this all the time and have even run three accounts at once with three instances of Dropbox. Just a little internal app editing. The downside to all of this though is that Dropbox does take up space on your drive.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 03:58 AM   #14
tuyentalent
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
Dropbox has the ability to keep track of things via IP address. They do this to prevent the creation of multiple email addresses with the intent to send invitations to yourself which increase the size of your Dropbox.

While they certainly COULD via this IP method prevent registration of multiple Dropbox accounts under a single IP address - they don't.

Glad the OP found a solution though.

BTW, off-topic, but it's possible to run more than one instance of Dropbox on one Mac. I do this all the time and have even run three accounts at once with three instances of Dropbox. Just a little internal app editing. The downside to all of this though is that Dropbox does take up space on your drive.
If you use AirFile, you still can add many Dropbox accounts without taking up your disk space. It really just works for your case.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airf...327?ls=1&mt=12

Last edited by tuyentalent; Jan 7, 2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 07:30 AM   #15
nickknol
macrumors newbie

DropBox sucks try Microsoft Skydrive :P
nickknol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 09:47 AM   #16
eyoungren
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknol View Post
There is absolutely zero way to access Skydrive on any PowerPC Macintosh. Microsoft only offers an option for Macs if you have an Intel Mac.

Skydrive is NOT an option then when it comes to my PowerMac G4 Quicksilver and my two 17" PowerBook G4s.

Dropbox, on the other hand, still develops for PowerPC Macs.

And no. I'm not in the market for an Intel Mac.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 02:12 PM   #17
tuyentalent
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknol View Post
SkyDrive is also supported by AirFile. Check it out.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airf...327?ls=1&mt=12
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:57 PM   #18
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
There is absolutely zero way to access Skydrive on any PowerPC Macintosh. Microsoft only offers an option for Macs if you have an Intel Mac.

Skydrive is NOT an option then when it comes to my PowerMac G4 Quicksilver and my two 17" PowerBook G4s.

Dropbox, on the other hand, still develops for PowerPC Macs.

And no. I'm not in the market for an Intel Mac.
If I were microsoft I wouldn't support PPC either. Not because I have anything against it but logistically and financially it just wouldn't make sense. If Apple dropped Rosetta in Lion (3 os versions ago) and stopped making hardware using PPC 5 years prior to that, why would a competing company no less support such a platform? Apple's market share is quite low as it is but those running Leopard and versions prior on PPC would easily be less than half a percent of all OSX users which is only a fraction of windows users. And then an even lower percentage of those users would even use skydrive.

Once again I have nothing against PPC and have the utmost respect for those who chose to stick with it and can make it work for them. But at the same time I can see why a company would no longer write software for it.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:21 PM   #19
eyoungren
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
If I were microsoft I wouldn't support PPC either. Not because I have anything against it but logistically and financially it just wouldn't make sense. If Apple dropped Rosetta in Lion (3 os versions ago) and stopped making hardware using PPC 5 years prior to that, why would a competing company no less support such a platform? Apple's market share is quite low as it is but those running Leopard and versions prior on PPC would easily be less than half a percent of all OSX users which is only a fraction of windows users. And then an even lower percentage of those users would even use skydrive.

Once again I have nothing against PPC and have the utmost respect for those who chose to stick with it and can make it work for them. But at the same time I can see why a company would no longer write software for it.
Oh, I wasn't arguing that they should. I would love it if they would, but it makes no business sense for them to do so.

This comment you quote me on was written in response at the time to what I perceived as an assumption. By suggesting SkyDrive the poster just assumed I was capable of using it, or that I should be. So, my response was to indicate that not everyone could because not everyone is using modern Macs - or PCs for that matter.

I realize that I'm in a considerable minority here and I accept that. And I don't expect anything from companys that have moved on. Even Microsoft is trying to kill XP now, so expecting them to support me on PowerPC even when Intel was around when SkyDrive was first introduced is not realistic. But, in the same way, other posters can't make blanket assumptions that no one is using outdated software or hardware anymore because that isn't true either.

Which is why I respect Dropbox so much. Eight years after the Intel transition they still support PowerPC. They don't have to, but they do.

I included my last statement about not being in the market for an Intel Mac simply (at the time) to head off any repeat suggestions that I buy a new Mac - that's just not affordable for us at the moment.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps