Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Novus022500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
Ummmm... So I'm new to this forums and have had an iPad for about 5 months now and noticed that the camera SUCKS... I just got the iPad 2 as a gift and can't afford to buy a new iPad with the better camera, but I saw an app Camera Boost and heard that it upgrades the camera... So i've been searching for promo codes and do you kow one? PLEASE IF NY OF YOU WHO KNOW ONE CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE IT TO ME?? The camera is bugging me very much...

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
No app will make the camera better, software cant change the hardware. Plus you made a mistake buying an iPad if you have importance in using the camera.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I'm not familiar with the app, but really, you can't make something from nothing. There are some anti-noise filters that might help the lowlight noise, but other than that it's like putting lipstick on a pig (unless you're into that sort of thing ;) ). I seldom discount Apple products, but I will when it's needed.

The front camera is poor, but if you use it for FaceTime with descent lighting, it works ok.

The rear camera just wasn't all that useful for me. It's fixed focus, has not-so-hot lenses, and suffers from low-light noise. Not sure what the reasoning was - it could have been just too thick. The iPad 3 is already thicker because of the extra LED backlights and the battery, so it might have been just enough to get a descent camera in the iPad 3 and, now, the 4th gen. (I sold my iPad 2 and got the iPad 3 on launch day last year.)

Again, with good lighting and not trying for close ups, you might get some useable images out of it.

As I had an iPhone 3GS, then iPhone 4S, I didn't need to rely on the iPad 2 very often. Also, it was easy to pickup the iPhone sitting next to me.

The one thing that now drives me to take an image on the iPad 3 is being able to more easily edit stills and video on the large display. It's easy to "beam" between iPhoto on the iPhone and iPad 3. It's a descent enough camera that I don't hesitate to use it if that's what's handy. The iPhone 4S is still a better camera, though.

With all that out of the way, here's what photo apps I have on the iPad: Camera! and Top Camera for the live shot apps; for post, I have iPhoto, PhotoGene, Photo Fx Ultra, Luminance and Snapseed. Those all have their own strengths and weaknesses. iPhoto is great for quick crops and adjustments; PhotoGene is good for text and simple drawing layers. The oher three are mostly adjustment and filters. Also have PS Touch that has a few cute tricks.

Even though I agree the iPad 2's camera isn't too terrific, you can probably squeeze a it more out with the above (or similar) apps.

Last edited:

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
The iPad 2 camera is just horrible, nothing can fix it. I would not use it for pictures, ever.

Novus022500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
Well I can notice that the iPad camera looks better especially when I'm outdoors and well lit rooms... But it still looks grainy... :(

----------

I'm not familiar with the app, but really, you can't make something from nothing. There are some anti-noise filters that might help the lowlight noise, but other than that it's like putting lipstick on a pig (unless you're into that sort of thing ;) ). I seldom discount Apple products, but I will when it's needed.

The front camera is poor, but if you use it for FaceTime with descent lighting, it works ok.

The rear camera just wasn't all that useful for me. It's fixed focus, has not-so-hot lenses, and suffers from low-light noise. Not sure what the reasoning was - it could have been just too thick. The iPad 3 is already thicker because of the extra LED backlights and the battery, so it might have been just enough to get a descent camera in the iPad 3 and, now, the 4th gen. (I sold my iPad 2 and got the iPad 3 on launch day last year.)

Again, with good lighting and not trying for close ups, you might get some useable images out of it.

As I had an iPhone 3GS, then iPhone 4S, I didn't need to rely on the iPad 2 very often. Also, it was easy to pickup the iPhone sitting next to me.

The one thing that now drives me to take an image on the iPad 3 is being able to more easily edit stills and video on the large display. It's easy to "beam" between iPhoto on the iPhone and iPad 3. It's a descent enough camera that I don't hesitate to use it if that's what's handy. The iPhone 4S is still a better camera, though.

With all that out of the way, here's what photo apps I have on the iPad: Camera! and Top Camera for the live shot apps; for post, I have iPhoto, PhotoGene, Photo Fx Ultra, Luminance and Snapseed. Those all have their own strengths and weaknesses. iPhoto is great for quick crops and adjustments; PhotoGene is good for text and simple drawing layers. The oher three are mostly adjustment and filters. Also have PS Touch that has a few cute tricks.

Even though I agree the iPad 2's camera isn't too terrific, you can probably squeeze a it more out with the above (or similar) apps.

Thanks by the way! Gonna try the different apps

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Well I can notice that the iPad camera looks better especially when I'm outdoors and well lit rooms... But it still looks grainy...

The iPad 2 camera is just plain not a high quality camera. You will NEVER get great pictures from it. The more light you have, the better pictures you will get, but you won't ever get great pictures.

Camera+ is my favorite camera app.

If high quality pictures was a priority, buying a tablet wasn't a good choice. They're awkward for pictures, period. The camera is a secondary feature, never a primary feature.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
No app will make the camera better, software cant change the hardware. Plus you made a mistake buying an iPad if you have importance in using the camera.

The iPad 2 camera is just plain not a high quality camera. You will NEVER get great pictures from it. The more light you have, the better pictures you will get, but you won't ever get great pictures.

Camera+ is my favorite camera app.

If high quality pictures was a priority, buying a tablet wasn't a good choice. They're awkward for pictures, period. The camera is a secondary feature, never a primary feature.

Just wondering if you people know how to read? He clearly said that it was given to him as a gift. So no, he didn't buy an iPad to use as a camera.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have been using Cortex Cam. It shoots a couple seconds of video and creates a noise free photo from it. Only works on still shots. I even use it for low light shots on my iPhone 5.

wkmooncake

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
Grainy Ipad 2 camera

I totally agree that the Ipad 2 camera takes grainy pics. Recently I took a pic from the back camera and a pic from the front camera and emailed it to my email account. When I viewed with a PC, the pics were only 301kB and 98Kb. I read that is was supposed to be at least 900kB and 200kB. Could anyone explain why only 301kB??

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
So everyone who has an iPad 2 listen up. The camera is 0.7 Megapixels. Got that? Its gonna look like crap. Apple even advertised it as a camera for video. This should be of no surprise after 2 years.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Another vote for Cortex Cam. It actually does improve the result from the camera by averaging many photos it reduces noise in the result. Won't work with action scenes. Other than that I love it.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
So everyone who has an iPad 2 listen up. The camera is 0.7 Megapixels. Got that? Its gonna look like crap.
Dead horse but MP is just MP. I have a 0.3MP camera that does very well in low light. Don't just assume based on MP. Resolution is just one metric among many regarding image quality.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Dead horse but MP is just MP. I have a 0.3MP camera that does very well in low light. Don't just assume based on MP. Resolution is just one metric among many regarding image quality.

I realize that. What does it matter if your 0.3 MP camera does good in low light since it would be so tiny to be useful for much. My point that when you get to a low enough MP count that its simply stinks by todays standards as does a 0.3 MP image. Its not useful for much.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
There is a 8mm Vintage Camera app among others that can make the iPad 2 camera usable in a sick sort of way. It makes it compete with the professional cameras from the 1930's thru 1960's with the problems of that era. There are other apps to make it look like a comic or line art too.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

You can't compare a digital camera to a camera module in a phone. The price differential is general on the magnitude of 50X to 150X. When you're building a commodity with lens, circuitry and sensor for <$10 there are countless compromises involved. A better, faster lens and larger sensor on a dedicated camera can compensate for low MP in ways that a bundled unit smaller than your pinky nail can't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.