Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Forgot Bondi Blue already? Well, maybe that was before your time.

Bring back Blue Dalmation and Flower Power! (Well, maybe not that one…)

Oh yes, I forgot. Those were the times ))) And they were cool and Dalmation and Flower Power. It would be great if apple made 5c translucent. And somehow those names work well with translucent models.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
So odd not to see Apple even mention iPods in a September keynote. Is this the first time it's happened since iPods were introduced?
Yes, this is the first year there hasn't been an iPod update. I doubt there will be one this year or next. They'll keep them still in the store like the Classic but updates are done.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Yes, this is the first year there hasn't been an iPod update. I doubt there will be one this year or next. They'll keep them still in the store like the Classic but updates are done.

Maybe the iWatch type device will really be the death knell for the iPod. But for now even the iPod Classic lives another day. Yesterday morning I didn't think that would still be on the Apple Store today.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Why? I like the idea of supporting charity too, but it's a bummer because my favorite color is green and they don't make a green one. Sigh. Maybe someday...

You do get that product red is, strangely, tied to the colour red? Just that one shade of red in fact.

Its not just about giving money, its people seeing a product red device, knowing what it is and raising awareness.

If you wish to give some money to help fight aids then you can do so and still have a green iPod.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
When next year should the iPod Touch 6th come out?

Not till fall most likely

----------

I know why they did this but I wish they fixed the anodizing process instead. I liked the slate way better. Now I don't know what color I should get the 5s in because I don't really love any of them.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Why in the world would a company remove the most basic standard electronic color that matches the front of the device for a lighter tone of that color. Their design team got lost out there somewhere, I'll just wait for them to return at some point in time when they can make sense again.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Since the only update seems to be the color, can we change the Buyer's guide back to either Neutral or Don't Buy? This doesn't qualify as an update, simply a color change.

vxt

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2012
Since the only update seems to be the color, can we change the Buyer's guide back to either Neutral or Don't Buy? This doesn't qualify as an update, simply a color change.

Right! Change it! I almost jumped when I saw it said BUY NOW, then I thought wait a minute..

Damn, I wish they didn't keep iPod Touch so far behind. They are always saying a chip is twice as fast than the previous with these A# chips. A7 is supposed to be 4 times faster than A5, which is still in Touch.

I can't justify buying either an iPhone or iPod Touch. Have been waiting for 2 years since I sold my 4th gen Touch with crappy camera.

Is there any chance they will upgrade Touch in their March/April schedule??

limulus89

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
The real reason for the new Space Gray color.

Why in the world would a company remove the most basic standard electronic color that matches the front of the device for a lighter tone of that color. Their design team got lost out there somewhere, I'll just wait for them to return at some point in time when they can make sense again.

That was my initial question/reaction. However there is a very good practical reason for why they did this and it is presented very well here:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/threads/why-apple-stopped-selling-the-black-iphone-5s.400531/

noni675

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Right! Change it! I almost jumped when I saw it said BUY NOW, then I thought wait a minute..

Damn, I wish they didn't keep iPod Touch so far behind. They are always saying a chip is twice as fast than the previous with these A# chips. A7 is supposed to be 4 times faster than A5, which is still in Touch.

I can't justify buying either an iPhone or iPod Touch. Have been waiting for 2 years since I sold my 4th gen Touch with crappy camera.

Is there any chance they will upgrade Touch in their March/April schedule??

Admittedly, the iPod Touch isn't the 'cash cow' that the iPad and iPhones are, but even with diminishing hardware sales you'd think this device still brings in a worthwhile amount of game sales to merit keeping it only one year behind the current iPhone specs, instead of the current two year upgrade cycle. Not everyone can afford (or justify) even the iPhone 5c, but what's the reasoning for not seeing the same one-year hardware 'upgrade' in the iPod Touch that one sees with the second-tier iPhone, especially when you consider that Apple once used the same SoC (A4) in both the iPhone 4 (June 2010) and iPod Touch 4G (September 2010)?

It isn't unreasonable to save all of the top-of-the-line hardware for Apple's most profitable products, but with astronomical year-over-year performance leaps, it's sad that Apple relegates (now) lackluster, two-year old SoCs to the iPod Touch (which has so much gaming potential). Even more so when one considers the negligible price differences between SoCs if you review iSuppli's 'Teardown Bill of Materials and Manufacturing Costs' for various iPhones and iPads, where the A7 has a cost of $19, the A6 a cost of $13 and A5 less than that. If Apple can promote the gaming potential of the A7 SoC (which is three-to-six times more powerful than the A5 SoC), exactly who is the target audience of the iPod Touch if the longevity of the product can't remotely keep up the with software that will eventually exploit the A7? At the current upgrade cycle, it would appear the iPod Touch would see the A7 no sooner than 2016.

At least, Apple 'upgrades' new iPod Touch purchases with a new color option, iOS 7, iPhoto, iMovie and iWorks, but this still pales when you consider that the iPhone 5c gets all that plus more hardware-wise at a discount the iPod Touch doesn't enjoy. I guess any software bonuses (that anyone really should be grateful to receive) doled out in the second year of the product cycle are supposed to make up for the discount one sees in the second tier iPhones, but it would be interesting to see a poll of whether iPod Touch owners would rather enjoy $45 worth of great software (which they might not use) vs an SoC upgrade (at what would appear to be no more than $5 to Apple) which would (at the very least) double the performance of the device over the course of it's life and be much more beneficial towards gaming.

Should Apple decide to ax the iPod Touch, hopefully they have an upcoming portable gaming device with more desirable hardware components.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.