Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
I use splashtop. Sometimes it's finicky about connecting but when it does it's the smoothest for me. Looks like I'm running the desktop natively. Waiting for a retina update though

Would never watch movie over it even though it's capable. Plex handles that way better

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
I use LogMeIn Ignition. I got it when it was $19.99 but now it goes for $99.99.

That's because they offer ignition functionality in the free app now - they have to keep it in the store for updates, but they don't want people using that as new users. The free app does a great job.

Logmein is great if you NEED the help connecting through local routers and networks, but in a situation like work where I am already on the network I will use RDP instead of Logmein. Logmein has to make the round trip to their servers and back to the machines being connected, RDP connects over the local network in that case you would would see less latency and probably better throughput which would provide a smoother experience.

I use Wyse pocket cloud for all RDP connections at work and then I use Logmein to connect to my motherinlaw's house so I don't have to port forward or anything. Really like the Pocket Cloud UI.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Wyse Pocket Cloud for Me

I bought several of these remote client apps to test as this is something I use for work and it needs to be reliable, but reasonably priced. The two that came out on top for me are Pocket Cloud and Splashtop. The only reason I go primarily with Pocket Cloud is that I have a slight preference for the UI. Either will serve you well and there are no subscriptions necessary, unlike some of the others.

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
That's because they offer ignition functionality in the free app now - they have to keep it in the store for updates, but they don't want people using that as new users. The free app does a great job.

Logmein is great if you NEED the help connecting through local routers and networks, but in a situation like work where I am already on the network I will use RDP instead of Logmein. Logmein has to make the round trip to their servers and back to the machines being connected, RDP connects over the local network in that case you would would see less latency and probably better throughput which would provide a smoother experience.

I use Wyse pocket cloud for all RDP connections at work and then I use Logmein to connect to my motherinlaw's house so I don't have to port forward or anything. Really like the Pocket Cloud UI.

The LogMeIn app requires a purchase of Pro to get Pro features. LogMeIn Ignition gives you Pro features with a Free account. You never have to pay for Pro when using it on the iPad or iPhone.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
i've test-drove plenty of RDP programs and the two best that i'd recommend are Jump and PocketCloud.

i prefer Jump because it has the cleanest interface and the UI is more conducive to tablet use. for example, scrolling within a window is so much easier to do w/Jump than in PocketCloud.

Pocketcloud is very powerful, even offers some extra features beyond simple RDP, but if all you need is RDP and VNC features...i'd rate Jump higher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.