Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
This has to be the stupidest question. But I can't find the answer. And, I can't believe Apple blew this, and didn't include it in the new iPad mail app.

As we all know, on the iPhone, for many (most, if the developers follow specs) apps, you hit the top of page (where the date is), and the form/list auto-scrolls back to the top. On the iPad, that works for the large email form (the email itself).

Well, how the heck do you scroll the floating (it works for the fixed landscape version!) inbox listing window back to the top (when in portrait mode)? I've pressed everywhere I can think of, and I can't find it. And I really can't believe Apple omitted this. Tell me I'm stupid, and Apple didn't blow this one. :) I'm really tired of scrolling through pages of emails to get back to the top of the inbox when I've been looking at old emails down below. (Yes, I know you can quit the account and re-enter, but, good grief... :) )

So, what's going on here? Bug or hidden feature?

Thanks!

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
Sorry, not seeing it. If I hit at the top of the email, it closes the inbox listing. When you reopen it, it's at the top, but that can't be what you mean....

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
That's what I thought was meant, doesn't work for me. Note that this is an Exchange account, but I can't see how that matters.

Tapping on the time does nothing, just below closes the inbox listing, leaving you in the email. This is weird...

I had a Genius appt yesterday to replace a bad 3GS. Should have brought the iPad in and asked about this!

iLiveUdie

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
That's what I thought was meant, doesn't work for me. Note that this is an Exchange account, but I can't see how that matters.

Tapping on the time does nothing, just below closes the inbox listing, leaving you in the email. This is weird...

I had a Genius appt yesterday to replace a bad 3GS. Should have brought the iPad in and asked about this!

You can always call em up, and see whats up!

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
I've got an Apple Store in the mall right next to where I work, so I'll stop in Monday. Believe me, I've tapped everywhere, and I can't get the inbox listing to zoom back to the top!

Thanks for trying!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

I don't think an Apple store genius is going to be able to help you. It seems this is the way the software was designed. Not sure if it's a bug or on purpose (or an oversight) but the OP's observation is correct.

A work around would be to limit the number of emails shown in the list (in the settings app). I've got mine set to 50 and I get get back to the top with a single flick. Not perfect, but a work-around for now.

iLiveUdie

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
I don't think an Apple store genius is going to be able to help you. It seems this is the way the software was designed. Not sure if it's a bug or on purpose (or an oversight) but the OP's observation is correct.

A work around would be to limit the number of emails shown in the list (in the settings app). I've got mine set to 50 and I get get back to the top with a single flick. Not perfect, but a work-around for now.

Doesn't hurt to ask...

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
What!? I'm not crazy? :). Seriously, I have days of work email on here, just like on the iPhone, and I need to go back a day or so sometimes, and that could be hundreds of items. So, it's hard to believe a basic feature was left off when it's on the landscape....

Oh, wait... There's one workaround, flip to landscape, and do it.... (yes, you can close the inbox listing and reopen).

I wonder if they couldn't do it in a popup window? Has to be a good reason.

Thanks for the confirmation! (But I will pop over to the store and ask... I want to see them try to make it do it. Since none of them saw an iPad before a week ago, that should be interesting.)

jsvideoman

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
Inbox: Goto top. How?!

After reading through all these comments, I still couldn't figure it out. I had to do another Google search and finally got the answer somewhere else. But partly because the comments here weren't real clear.

You have to touch in the BLACK AREA clear up ABOVE the e-mail list (in the area OUTSIDE the mail app). I kept trying to click on the top bar of the mail app, but like everyone else, I got nothing.

And the same goes for scolling to the top of an e-mail. Just touch in the black area above the e-mail and it will scroll up. Again, I think that's what the one person was trying to tell us, "You can hit the title bar where it says the time", but I just didn't see that's what they meant until 30 minutes later. And I'm quite computer savvy.....just one of those "duh" moments. For me, I think I just kept thinking that the area above was part of the iPad frame, but finally noticed the clock was up there.

Oh wow, I just figured out that gesture works on Facebook and all other programs where you need to scroll to the top.

I know this is an old thread, but just thought I'd add my findings in case, like me, you were still having trouble.

Shamurr

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
Moving to top of inbox ipad etc.

Thanks jsvideoman. It doesn't matter how long a post has started in my view as the are new users coming on all the time like me who benefit. This has been a bug bare of mine so I thank you for the clearer explanation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.