Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Does the 21.5 inch imac allow you to upgrade the ram later?
Also If I order a standard model and decide to add an SSD later with a hardrive, will I be able to do it? Or am I stuck with the hardrive for ever?

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
If Apple doesn't offer to upgrade the hard drive for a fee, then I'll be stuck with the original forever. I just don't think I have it in me to remove the screen from the case. This is why I got the Fusion drive. My iMac needs to last 5-7 years, so I'm just not gonna take the chance to open it myself.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
The answer to both of those questions really depends upon your skill with a guitar pick.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Or if you are not gutsy enough to use the guitar prick you can always bring your Imac to an authorized repair center and have them do it... If either the ram of the HDD need to be replaced because of a failure there must be a way..

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I went for the 1TB Fusion drive in my 27" iMac purely because I think it is the best value for money.
With regard to upgrading the hard drive at a later date, you might feel more comfortable with doing it a few years down the road? Plus there may be a business doing it. I would say someone could make a bit of dough if they were to offer upgrades to the 2012 iMac in a few years time. Going behind the screen sounds horrendous to me, especially with my lack of skill and experience in that type of thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.