Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyvill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2013
Hi,

I'm looking for some electronics engineer or someone with a great mind on this:

I am planning of building an iPad mini into my cars dashboard.
But I was wondering if it would be possible to extend the front and rear camera to the front hood and trunk of the car. I know the iPad mini has to be taken apart for this, but it's not the point of taking it with you every time you leave the car.
If this is possible I also would like to know, if its possible to change the camera with a day/night camera.

I'm not looking for responds like 'Why' or 'Useless'. I just need a decent answer on my question.

Thanks!

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I would think the cable runs would be far too long for this to work. I think this would be more feasible with a more full features tablet like a surface pro and utilizing blutooth cameras, though that's quite a bit larger than an ipad mini.

Kyvill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2013
I would think the cable runs would be far too long for this to work. I think this would be more feasible with a more full features tablet like a surface pro and utilizing blutooth cameras, though that's quite a bit larger than an ipad mini.

By being too long, will it affect quality or no power supply?

I think it would be much easier to use wifi cameras like these https://www.dropcam.com

you'd have to find a way to power them, though.

I don't think wifi camera's are good on this because there is no 'live' image, there always be some delay on the screen. For example parking your car. We are not talking about couple of seconds, but I think it would be annoying

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I'd go to one of the iPad teardown sites to get a good look at the cameras, and how they're incorporated into the system. I don't see any reason why this couldn't be accomplished -- I think the cameras are just stand-alone units connected to other components by metal traces on flex. It's "just" engineering.

Regards,
Tom

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Part of that engineering is also the signaling used within those cables. The longer the run, the longer the latency and signal degradation. You can't simply extend cable lengths indefinitely in digital circuitry. You're looking at it like it's simply an extension cord, but there's more to it than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.