Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bdix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Hi all,

I'm considering getting my significant other the mini as a gift. I just got a 4 about a week ago and I love it. I can tell she really likes it as well.

She's not super tech savvy and really just likes to use mine to catch up on TV shows and to surf the internet. She may use it for work tasks/email as well.

For that reason, I don't really feel that I'd be justified in paying for another 4. Plus, having two 4s in the same household seems a little redundant. It'd be nice for her to have her own mini so we have some variety.

She has an iPhone 4s, so I worry that maaaaybe she might get turned off by the screen, but part of me thinks she may not even notice (I just won't ever use my 4 right next to her haha)

In any event, anybody else plan on gifting the mini this holiday season? How would you feel about receiving the mini as a gift (especially all of the mini haters out there)?

beysus

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
I think she'll love it. The Mini has a nice size and yes, the screen is not Retina but it's better than the iPad 2 one and since you say she's not so much into technics, she'll most likely be happy with it.

I'm gifting my parents an iPad 4 but that's because it's supposed to replace their netbook and they aren't the youngest people either so the Mini would be a little too small for them I think.

I'd be happy if I got an iPad Mini. I like the size and weight better than the 4 but I am not really in need of a tablet.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
She's not going to be mad if you get her the Mini and she'd prefer the full sized one. Just return the one she doesn't like and get her the one she does. Two iPad 4s are not redundent as they belong to different people.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
My better half has been eying the iPad mini of late. So I am safe I am guessing in getting one for him. His iPad 3 in my thought would become our home machine for use in the kitchen with the under the cabinet iPad holder we have....

Think you will be safe as well....

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I have a 4, my GF grabbed a Mini when it was available at a BB Mobile store. I offered her my Mini I owned before I returned it but she decided against it knowing I was getting the 4. She changed her mind down the road.

It has worked out for her. I still have some reservations about the mini but using it more now when I had it, I learned to adapt with workarounds especially for web browsing to make it better.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I'm gifting my parents an iPad 4 but that's because it's supposed to replace their netbook and they aren't the youngest people either so the Mini would be a little too small for them I think.

This.

If anyone is thinking of gifting their 50+ year old parents with poor eyesight an iPad Mini, DON'T.

My mom has seen both an iPad and an iPad Mini. She thinks the fonts and screen are too small on the mini.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
This.

If anyone is thinking of gifting their 50+ year old parents with poor eyesight an iPad Mini, DON'T.

My mom has seen both an iPad and an iPad Mini. She thinks the fonts and screen are too small on the mini.

By the same token, if your parents have bad eyesight get them an iPad 3 or 4 instead of the 2.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
By the same token, if your parents have bad eyesight get them an iPad 3 or 4 instead of the 2.

I would think the opposite.

My mom can't distinguish retina from non-retina. The iPad 2 is the better choice as it's cheaper.

Heck, my mom can't even tell the difference between HD and non-HD television. Whenever I go over there, I tell her, 'Do you realize you're watching the non-HD channel? This is the HD channel here...' and she doesn't notice the difference except the screen is 16:9 instead of 4:3.

SueG

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2011
I have an ipad 3. Friend has a 4 and a mini. Now As a 57 year old who usually wears glasses, I find i can read any of these ipads minus the specs.
The mini is a lovely piece of kit even without the retina.
Age isnt a barrier to the size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.