Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Citizen Kane
The Third Man
The Maltese Falcon
The Big Sleep
Key Largo
Little Caesar
The Asphalt Jungle
Sweet Smell Of Success
White Heat
The Stranger
Bladerunner
Ride The High Country
The Wild Bunch
Sunset Boulevard
The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre
High Sierra
The Bad And The Beautiful
The Petrified Forrest

for openers...:p

Most of your list are classics (but where is 'Citizen Kane'?), however, personally, I'd add a few foreign movies to that list. In addition to a number of those on your list:

Sunset Boulevard,
Citizen Kane,
The Third Man,
The Maltese Falcon, among others, personally, I'd add:

Au Revoir, Les Enfants
The Leopard,
The Damned,
Monthy Python and the Holy Grail,
Life of Brian,
Jesus of Montreal,
Mefisto,
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp,
Arsenic and Old Lace

I'm not a huge fan of westerns, although I did like:

High Noon,
Unforgiven,
The Outlaw Josey Wales

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Most of your list are classics (but where is 'Citizen Kane'?), however, personally, I'd add a few foreign movies to that list. In addition to a number of those on your list:

Sunset Boulevard,
Citizen Kane,
The Third Man,
The Maltese Falcon, among others, personally, I'd add:

Au Revoir, Les Enfants
The Leopard,
The Damned,
Monthy Python and the Holy Grail,
Life of Brian,
Jesus of Montreal,
Mefisto,
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp,
Arsenic and Old Lace

I'm not a huge fan of westerns, although I did like:

High Noon,
Unforgiven,
The Outlaw Josey Wales

"Citizen Kane" is the first name on the list!

You're right about the absence of foreign films...that's for my next list...

Although Westerns are not your favorite genre, I strongly suggest "Ride The High Country". Nominally a Western, it is really a wonderful character study of two actors (Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea) at the end of their careers playing two old cowboys at the end of their road. It has in it the wonderful line spoken by McCrea when asked by Scott what he wanted from the rest of his life..."I just want to enter my house justified." It's really an excellent film on many levels...and interesting to see Sam Peckinpah's, non-violent, first directorial effort.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
"Citizen Kane" is the first name on the list!

You're right about the absence of foreign films...that's for my next list...

Although Westerns are not your favorite genre, I strongly suggest "Ride The High Country". Nominally a Western, it is really a wonderful character study of two actors (Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea) at the end of their careers playing two old cowboys at the end of their road. It has in it the wonderful line spoken by McCrea when asked by Scott what he wanted from the rest of his life..."I just want to enter my house justified." It's really an excellent film on many levels...and interesting to see Sam Peckinpah's, non-violent, first directorial effort.

I looked for 'Citizen Kane', knowing your very high opinion (shared by this humble scribe) of it, but failed to see it; ah, well, I think I'm somewhat tired and missing what is obviously written right under my eyes.

Re westerns, I know that they are an art form with a specific cultural resonance in the US, but it is one that fails to find an echo with me. Too many were complete clichés, reminiscent of the old John Wayne (whom I loathed) mindset. Personally, I far prefer a more nuanced (and yet again, historically, an at least slightly accurate account).

Otherwise, give me the Baroque opera of spaghetti westerns which don't pretend to be remotely accurate, but which are a guilty pleasure of mine, for the cinematography, the music, the arid, scorching scenery.....

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I looked for 'Citizen Kane', knowing your very high opinion (shared by this humble scribe) of it, but failed to see it; ah, well, I think I'm somewhat tired and missing what is obviously written right under my eyes.

Re westerns, I know that they are an art form with a specific cultural resonance in the US, but it is one that fails to find an echo with me. Too many were complete clichés, reminiscent of the old John Wayne (whom I loathed) mindset. Personally, I far prefer a more nuanced (and yet again, historically, an at least slightly accurate account).

Otherwise, give me the Baroque opera of spaghetti westerns which don't pretend to be remotely accurate, but which are a guilty pleasure of mine, for the cinematography, the music, the arid, scorching scenery.....

Although "Ride The High Country" is a Western, it is really an interesting character study, in Western garb. If you get a chance, give it a look...I'd be interested in your reactions.:D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Although "Ride The High Country" is a Western, it is really an interesting character study, in Western garb. If you get a chance, give it a look...I'd be interested in your reactions.:D

I won't promise, but if I trip over it, I'll keep an eye out for it.

While I don't like westerns per se (such clichés, manly men, savage Indians, stoic heroes...brainless women), there are exceptions, especially any of the movies that take the trouble to interrogate the genre.

However, here, I must say that I really liked Clint Eastwood's pair of westerns - 'The Outlaw Josey Wales' (Chief Dan George was a revelation, and what an intelligent, sympathetic perspective on the experience of native Indians), and 'Unforgiven'. Nothing in his previous career would have suggested that he was capable of subverting the genre that he had done so well out of with such intelligence and depth.

In those movies, I liked the recognition of nuance, awareness of history, multi-layered nature of plot, respectful acknowledgement of minorities, plus the fact that Eastwood himself was prepared to allow intelligent character actors to thrive while ceding the limelight to them, without throwing a fit of the sulks, indeed, that he welcomed the intelligence that actors such as Morgan Freeman, Richard Harris and above all, Gene Hackman brought to the roles he crafted for them.

I did like 'Once Upon A Time In The West' - a sort of epic, spaghetti western, and even liked the attempt at critical interrogation of founding myths that 'Heaven's Gate' represented (especially in its uncut version). While the movie was mercilessly minced, and I think greater heed could have been paid to the structure (it did teeter perilously close to self-indulgence at times), I salute the intelligent critical awareness that wished to tell this particular tale which was anything but heroic.

Oh, and I forgot to mention 'Lone Star' - a sort of modern and highly intelligent western - when listing favourite movies. Easily one of my favourite US movies of the past two decades.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I won't promise, but if I trip over it, I'll keep an eye out for it.

While I don't like westerns per se (such clichés, manly men, savage Indians, stoic heroes...brainless women), there are exceptions, especially any of the movies that take the trouble to interrogate the genre.

However, here, I must say that I really liked Clint Eastwood's pair of westerns - 'The Outlaw Josey Wales' (Chief Dan George was a revelation, and what an intelligent, sympathetic perspective on the experience of native Indians), and 'Unforgiven'. Nothing in his previous career would have suggested that he was capable of subverting the genre that he had done so well out of with such intelligence and depth.

In those movies, I liked the recognition of nuance, awareness of history, multi-layered nature of plot, respectful acknowledgement of minorities, plus the fact that Eastwood himself was prepared to allow intelligent character actors to thrive while ceding the limelight to them, without throwing a fit of the sulks, indeed, that he welcomed the intelligence that actors such as Morgan Freeman, Richard Harris and above all, Gene Hackman brought to the roles he crafted for them.

I did like 'Once Upon A Time In The West' - a sort of epic, spaghetti western, and even liked the attempt at critical interrogation of founding myths that 'Heaven's Gate' represented (especially in its uncut version). While the movie was mercilessly minced, and I think greater heed could have been paid to the structure (it did teeter perilously close to self-indulgence at times), I salute the intelligent critical awareness that wished to tell this particular tale which was anything but heroic.

Oh, and I forgot to mention 'Lone Star' - a sort of modern and highly intelligent western - when listing favourite movies. Easily one of my favourite US movies of the past two decades.

The Clint Eastwood westerns mentioned are outstanding. I really like Unforgiven where gun fights are not as neat and tidy as say something like the gun fight in Shane (which is an excellent movie) or the Magnificent Seven (also very good).

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Entertainment Weekly came out this week with their list of top 100 movies. here is a 3rd party link to the list. My primary complaint is placing Blue Velvet at No.15, an atrocity. :)

Here is EWs top 10:

1. Citizen Kane
2. The Godfather
3. Casablanca
4. Bonnie and Clyde
5. Psycho
6. It's a Wonderful Life
7. Mean streets
8. The Gold Rush
9. Nashville
10. Gone with the Wind

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Entertainment Weekly came out this week with their list of top 100 movies. here is a 3rd party link to the list. My primary complaint is placing Blue Velvet at No.15, an atrocity. :)

Here is EWs top 10:

1. Citizen Kane
2. The Godfather
3. Casablanca
4. Bonnie and Clyde
5. Psycho
6. It's a Wonderful Life
7. Mean streets
8. The Gold Rush
9. Nashville
10. Gone with the Wind

"It's a Wonderful LIfe"!?:eek:

Frank Capra...maudlin, obvious, simplistic junk number 6!?:eek:

PUH-LEEZE!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Here is EWs top 10:

1. Citizen Kane
2. The Godfather
3. Casablanca
4. Bonnie and Clyde
5. Psycho
6. It's a Wonderful Life
7. Mean streets
8. The Gold Rush
9. Nashville
10. Gone with the Wind

I have absolutely no quarrel with an of the first three on that list - apart from Citizen Kane, while they would not feature on my personal top three, I recognise that they are classics and well warrant their place on any all time list of terrific and timeless movies.

The rest - seriously, Bonnie and Clyde? Entertaining and well-made movie, and a nod to a sixties narrative style, but hardly a greatest top ten all-time best of the best.....

Likewise 'Psycho'. What's so great? The murder of the main POV character? The twist - or - twists? Of course Anthony Perkins was brilliant, and the atmosphere disturbing (this is Hitchcock after all) but does that make it an all-time top ten? Actually, 'Psycho' reminds me of Agatha Christie's book 'Who Killed Roger Ackroyd?' which is considered by many (though not by me) to be her masterpiece. Yes, it's clever, and unsettling, but some of her other works are better, to my mind. The same with 'Psycho'.

While I dispute the US-centric (and some serious omissions) world view, if you must be US centric, why not include some genuine classics? Here, I'd argue that 'The Wizard of Oz' should be included; in terms of cinematography, wit, technology, narrative fidelity to the original book in tone and text, acting and sheer class, it is brilliant, charming and timeless all at once - a true masterpiece.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
"It's a Wonderful LIfe"!?:eek:

Frank Capra...maudlin, obvious, simplistic junk number 6!?:eek:

PUH-LEEZE!

Great movie... :p

I have absolutely no quarrel with an of the first three on that list - apart from Citizen Kane, while they would not feature on my personal top three, I recognise that they are classics and well warrant their place on any all time list of terrific and timeless movies.

The rest - seriously, Bonnie and Clyde? Entertaining and well-made movie, and a nod to a sixties narrative style, but hardly a greatest top ten all-time best of the best.....

Likewise 'Psycho'. What's so great? The murder of the main POV character? The twist - or - twists? Of course Anthony Perkins was brilliant, and the atmosphere disturbing (this is Hitchcock after all) but does that make it an all-time top ten? Actually, 'Psycho' reminds me of Agatha Christie's book 'Who Killed Roger Ackroyd?' which is considered by many (though not by me) to be her masterpiece. Yes, it's clever, and unsettling, but some of her other works are better, to my mind. The same with 'Psycho'.

While I dispute the US-centric (and some serious omissions) world view, if you must be US centric, why not include some genuine classics? Here, I'd argue that 'The Wizard of Oz' should be included; in terms of cinematography, wit, technology, narrative fidelity to the original book in tone and text, acting and sheer class, it is brilliant, charming and timeless all at once - a true masterpiece.

Psycho... outstanding! :p Wizard of Oz was in the top 100, but I forget where.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Have you seen the western "High Noon" (1952) with Gary Cooper ? I would probably rank that in with the top westerns ever produced.

Totally agree, High Noon is a perfect movie. 10/10

Didn't you say before, that you actually like every movie you're watching? So no surprise here. :p
But seriously, the original Yuma based upon a completely different concept, so that's one issue regarding a remake (but wouldn't be a reason for me to dislike it).
Actually I liked the start of it, but besides Crowe whom I can't stand, it immediately grew into one unbelievable piece of non-stop action-entertainment - which too is excusable I think:
The main problem was that it is incredible predictable and full of flaws. That's a bad combination, and I even watched the latest Yuma at first.

As I was a bit preoccupied with work related matters, I overlooked this exchange; just wanted to add that I really like 'High Noon', the pacing, the tension, the music, and the wonderfully compelling portrait of a man caught in by his own past, as he faces a situation fraught with fear, where his emotional fragility battles with the fear of solitude, the fear of desertion (by his bride and indeed, the town) and fear of what lies ahead, which he must yet face (alone) then reaching into a desolate interior and grimly grasping what remains of his courage - all brilliantly portrayed by Gary Cooper. Wonderful to see vulnerability admitted, and faced down.

Re Russell Crowe, apart from LA Confidential, (where he was excellent as were the rest of a truly superb cast), I have to agree with you. Rather over-rated; and I really don't much like Gladiator.....

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Casablanca, & North By Northwest ---the restored anniversary versions, seen in an Art Deco theatre on a huge screen. The quality of the film was so gorgeous, so perfectly luminous. The beauty of it alone would make one cry. Sat up front for North By Northwest and honestly, the staging or blocking, whatever, of the shots was so incredible that I felt we were in the corn field strafed by bullets and dreamt I climbed Mt Rushmore for days afterward.

Spirited Away, & My Neighbor Tortoro.

Big Trouble based on the Dave Barry novel. It was simply perfect, then they threw in an Airedale and it became perfect++. More than 10 years later and it still delivers.

Any of the Wes Anderson movies but particularly Moonrise Kingdom & Rushmore. The only one I haven't seen is Bottle Rocket.

O Brother Where Art Thou?, absolutely perfect too.

Napoleon Dynamite :p

To Kill a Mockingbird. No need ever to redo this one, Gregory Peck is the only Atticus Finch.

Local Hero. I saw it again recently and still love it.

Fanfare, a Dutch movie from the 50's. Perfectly wonderful.

And My One & Only, my husband worked on the design about a year before he died.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Casablanca, & North By Northwest ---the restored anniversary versions, seen in an Art Deco theatre on a huge screen. The quality of the film was so gorgeous, so perfectly luminous. The beauty of it alone would make one cry. Sat up front for North By Northwest and honestly, the staging or blocking, whatever, of the shots was so incredible that I felt we were in the corn field strafed by bullets and dreamt I climbed Mt Rushmore for days afterward.

Spirited Away, & My Neighbor Tortoro.

Big Trouble based on the Dave Barry novel. It was simply perfect, then they threw in an Airedale and it became perfect++. More than 10 years later and it still delivers.

Any of the Wes Anderson movies but particularly Moonrise Kingdom & Rushmore. The only one I haven't seen is Bottle Rocket.

O Brother Where Art Thou?, absolutely perfect too.

Napoleon Dynamite :p

To Kill a Mockingbird. No need ever to redo this one, Gregory Peck is the only Atticus Finch.

Local Hero. I saw it again recently and still love it.

Fanfare, a Dutch movie from the 50's. Perfectly wonderful.

And My One & Only, my husband worked on the design about a year before he died.

Of those my favorites are Casablanca, North by Northwest, and to Kill a Mockingbird. Did you know in North by Northwest they had some problems with the script between Gary Grant and Eva Marie Saint on the train,when Cary was talking about making love to a women. The censors made them change some of the words. It was still the 50s. :)

Antares

macrumors 68000

Here is EWs top 10:

1. Citizen Kane
2. The Godfather
3. Casablanca
4. Bonnie and Clyde
5. Psycho
6. It's a Wonderful Life
7. Mean streets
8. The Gold Rush
9. Nashville
10. Gone with the Wind

Jurassic Park not being listed in the Top 5 is a crime against cinema! I still regard it as one of the best movies of all time.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Spirited Away, & My Neighbor Totoro.

Some love for Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki? +1! I'm an avid fan of Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso and the ones you've mentioned. Grave of the Fireflies comes to mind as well.

Haven't seen Moonrise Kingdom, but also agree on Wes Anderson in general. Although it's Life Aquatic for me, by far, maybe because it was the first one I've seen, don't know.
Bottle Rocket was his first movie, I believe, and not as smooth as his later movies and a little bit rough or awkward at times, but that adds up in a good way for me.

just wanted to add that I really like 'High Noon'....

Re Russell Crowe, apart from LA Confidential, (where he was excellent as were the rest of a truly superb cast), I have to agree with you. Rather over-rated; and I really don't much like Gladiator.....

High Noon is very depressing, too. Wonder if that's the reason I can't think of any recent remake or movie with a similiar general topic. And they make remakes out of everything today. But I may have just missed that. I like the fact that the normal citizens are so heavily criticized in this film, not just the coward, plain, innocent victims or a pittoresque staffage.

Poor Russell, he's becoming the symbol for a log thinking himself an actor. Probably doesn't deserve this....:D

-

And about that list: ridiculous.

Last edited:

Khloe

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2013
From the top of my head, True Lies always comes back to me...woo hoo! A golden oldie ;)

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Some love for Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki? +1! I'm an avid fan of Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso and the ones you've mentioned. Grave of the Fireflies comes to mind as well.

Haven't seen Moonrise Kingdom, but also agree on Wes Anderson in general. Although it's Life Aquatic for me, by far, maybe because it was the first one I've seen, don't know.
Bottle Rocket was his first movie, I believe, and not as smooth as his later movies and a little bit rough or awkward at times, but that adds up in a good way for me.

Yes, I have Kiki's Delivery Service & should watch it again. I recently watched Porco Rosso and I CAN'T believe it took me so long to see it! It was SO terrific! I read that Hayao Miyazaki has been thinking of a sequel to it with an older Porco Rosso. I really hope this pans out.

The Secret World of Arriety is on my future viewing list, I'm not ready to see Grave of the Fireflies just yet.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Yes, I have Kiki's Delivery Service & should watch it again. I recently watched Porco Rosso and I CAN'T believe it took me so long to see it! It was SO terrific! I read that Hayao Miyazaki has been thinking of a sequel to it with an older Porco Rosso. I really hope this pans out.

The Secret World of Arriety is on my future viewing list, I'm not ready to see Grave of the Fireflies just yet.

Haven't seen Arriety myself, as Ponyo, which I'm quite anxious about to do..Miyazaki has the touch of Midas with his hand drawn movies. Just saw that his son Goro is making those as well, From Up On Poppy Hill is just about to get released here in Europe, Hayao worked out the script.

Not so anxious about sequels in general, though. But if someone may top the original Porco Rosso, then it's Miyazaki. Think I read recently some news about a fresh movie released in Japan, something about aviation...as usual. :D
Edit: Here you go. Not much info, though. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.