Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geechi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2013
Hello, I recently deleted some sensitive information from my computer by using the trash bin. Additionally I did a search for the .trashes folder and deleted the contents there as well. If both of these things are done but I have not used the computer and wrote over the files...Are they still somewhere in my computer and can be recovered by a third party software? please assist.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes, they can be recovered, as you did not delete the files but he links to it (name and position on platters), thus a thorough scan via data recovery software (welcome spammers in several months for not reading the thread) can produce positive results in restoring the data.
If you really want to securely delete the Trash, there is an option of Secure Empty Trash in the Finder menu, which overwrites the data in the Trash with zeroes.
MR2ss_2013_09_06_pA2_FinderSecureEmptyTrash.png
There is also the option in Disk Utility to Erase Free Space, which even gives you the option to overwrite the non used space three or seven times.
MR2ss_2013_09_06_pA1_DiskUtilitySecureFreeErase.png

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Hello, I recently deleted some sensitive information from my computer by using the trash bin. Additionally I did a search for the .trashes folder and deleted the contents there as well.
If you value any of your files, you should make a backup, so that if you decide to move them to the trash and then destroy the contents of the trash folders, you still have a copy if you later change your mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.