Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
True, but Apploe & Android do not allow to send text messages without taping the "Send"-Button, so this kind of app is the only solution to have something similar like an automatic scheduled text message.

And this also will not change for sure.

You are completely wrong wrt to android. It allows sending of sms/mms/email without needing for users to press button.

I pick up my wife regularly. I have an app that sends an sms automatically when my car is near the pickup point. I don't even need to touch my phone at all.

improver

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2013
I would love to be able to schedule SMS on my iPhone

This is really annoying that it can't be done. I often remember something I want to text someone but don't want them to get it until the following week or day etc yet the ONLY solutions are crappy I have to write the text our in a reminder to myself and then at whatever time I want to send it I have then read the reminder and copy and paste it into a text again total sucks.

What if I intend to be asleep or in a meeting at the time I need the text message to arrive?

I did actually contact Apple requesting the feature be included as is normal they did not respond. But if enough of us contacted them or started a petition they might just consider adding it.

Clearly the hardware is capable so it is more due to a lack of desire on apples part.

I don't know why they would want to allow android phones to be better in this respect, it makes no sense to me at all.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
True, but Apploe & Android do not allow to send text messages without taping the "Send"-Button, so this kind of app is the only solution to have something similar like an automatic scheduled text message.

And this also will not change for sure.

There are plenty of apps that you can schedule and SEND a message for Android, there has been from the start.

I believe iOS is the only mobile OS that can not do this.

Dronepilot

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2014
I use Siri to schedule text messages all the time. Just say "At 3 PM send a text message to whoever that says blah Bubba blah" and it will be sent at 3 pm. Let me know how it goes.

Can you tell I used Siri to type this? ha ha Ha.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I use Siri to schedule text messages all the time. Just say "At 3 PM send a text message to whoever that says blah Bubba blah" and it will be sent at 3 pm. Let me know how it goes.

Can you tell I used Siri to type this? ha ha Ha.

Doesn't seem like that does what you are saying it would do. Siri just seems to send the message right away instead of scheduling it and sending it automatically at the scheduled time.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Doesn't seem like that does what you are saying it would do. Siri just seems to send the message right away instead of scheduling it and sending it automatically at the scheduled time.

I think he was joking around just to see who would try it out :D

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
If you really need a real smart phone go with android.

...waiting for brickbats to come.

improver

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2013
Seems like a rather pointless thing to do to needlessly bring up a thread that's close to year old.

I disagree, this is STILL a MASSIVE issue.

Still after many years of other 'smart' phones being able to schedule AND send without needing to prompt the person scheduling iphones still cannot do it.

I understand the only way is to jail break the iphone, so after more than a year of needing this feature and no working solution arriving I see it as I have 2 options.

Option 1 - Leave apple and buy an android. (not something I want to do but I moved to apple for time saving features so if it is falling behind I will move again, I want my tech to help me not hinder me or simply 'remind' me to redo something I already did again (thus waste my time).

Option 2 - Jail break my iphone and see if that will allow me access to this feature. As I have an iphone (and a mac and ipad) I would rather keep with it I like my things to all work together. So I have some questions (I will probably start a new thread about this but as this is the ONLY reason I want to do it Im putting these here too).

1. Will a jail broken iphone still use all the apple apps?
2. Does a jail broken iphone still sync with icloud? Eg will my reminders auto sync will my calenders auto sync etc?
3. Other than upsetting apple is there any actual draw back to jail breaking an iphone?
4. How exactly do I go about getting my iphone jail broken so it can actually do this feature?

Lastly now that that macs have the ability to send text messages is there anything in there that could schedule AND send (without needing me to reconfirm) a text?

Before someone who has completely miss-understood the reason for this NEED pipes up saying something like, 'just set a reminder' which appears to be what all current apps do and seemingly is the 'solution' many are offering. I want to clarify a few examples of where the REAL SOLUTION is needed.

Example 1 - You know you will be driving at 12 mid-day but you also know your husband/wife/partner will be just leaving work at that time and want to remind them to pick up something on their way home. You remember this at say 10:30am you cant call him/her because they are in work and wont answer and you dont want to text them whilst they are busy (as you knwo they will likely have forgotten by the time they leave work. so you schedule a text to send on its own at 12 mid-day.

Example 2 - You are working late and at 3am you have a fantastic idea you need your business partner to act on, but you know they are asleep in bed so you set a text to send to them at 10am maybe something like this, "Hey Jake I really need you to read the report Ive left on your desk and action the point on page 3 Ive highlighted, Ive been working through the night so will be asleep until mid-day"

Hopefully you can now see why, write text, set reminder, read reminder, copy text, paste text, press send is a total freakin waste of time that does NOT solve the problem! ;-)

improver

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2013
Maybe Android is the best solution?

So after writing the post above, I checked out the jailbreak & tweaks section os macrumors and it seems there are many apps that dont work if you jail break your phone (such as most banking apps) which seems to defeat the point of jail breaking if just to get some features and lose others.

So I had a little look on google and found this http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-ri...ime-4-ways-to-schedule-messages-with-android/

So I wonder is there a way I can have the same number on both an iphone and an android phone or do I have to move to android totally?

It is a shame my suggestion back in February to have a petition for apple to allow this didnt take off we might have had this feature by now.:rolleyes:

elisamal428

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2014
Houston, Texas
Which apps don't work? My iPhone is jailbroken and I haven't come across an app yet that doesn't work. My banking apps and Apple Pay all still work as normal.

So after writing the post above, I checked out the jailbreak & tweaks section os macrumors and it seems there are many apps that dont work if you jail break your phone (such as most banking apps) which seems to defeat the point of jail breaking if just to get some features and lose others.

So I had a little look on google and found this http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-ri...ime-4-ways-to-schedule-messages-with-android/

So I wonder is there a way I can have the same number on both an iphone and an android phone or do I have to move to android totally?

It is a shame my suggestion back in February to have a petition for apple to allow this didnt take off we might have had this feature by now.:rolleyes:

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Someone just told me about this on Friday

https://ifttt.com/

You can make a recipe to schedule a text

But it can only send the text to the registered mobile device of the IFTTT user. Not to a random phone number.

You'd have to use the GMail channel to send an email to the text email of the mobile device. If it doesn't have one, or you don't know what it is, you're pretty much SoL.

I just tested this using the Date & Time trigger and the GMail action, works fine. No reason to have to involve iOS, or the phone at all.

Last edited:

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
There are plenty of apps that you can schedule and SEND a message for Android, there has been from the start.

I believe iOS is the only mobile OS that can not do this.

Just returning to iOS having been with Andoird for the last two years. I got very accustomed to sending texts at 5 and 6 am for delivery at 7 or 8am.

I was planning on NOT JBing this go around, although previously, I did have biteSMS. PLEASE tell me there is something new in this development for iOS. If not, WHY on earth not???

I love iOS for the camera, but I gotta say, there is a LOT I miss about Andoid that is making this very difficult to not want to switch back. It's like I want to have the iPhone 6+ for the camera, but my Note 3 for almost everything else. I do appreciate iMessage though! But for group messaging, mixed users, Android wins again.

Anyway, just looking to this thread to see if there is anything new for iOS. Anything mentioned in this tread is either VERY lowly rated, or not even available.

Thanks!

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Just returning to iOS having been with Andoird for the last two years. I got very accustomed to sending texts at 5 and 6 am for delivery at 7 or 8am.

I was planning on NOT JBing this go around, although previously, I did have biteSMS. PLEASE tell me there is something new in this development for iOS. If not, WHY on earth not???

I love iOS for the camera, but I gotta say, there is a LOT I miss about Andoid that is making this very difficult to not want to switch back. It's like I want to have the iPhone 6+ for the camera, but my Note 3 for almost everything else. I do appreciate iMessage though! But for group messaging, mixed users, Android wins again.

Anyway, just looking to this thread to see if there is anything new for iOS. Anything mentioned in this tread is either VERY lowly rated, or not even available.

Thanks!

Nothings changed so you can go back to Android

Reactions: Givmeabrek

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
With Verizon at least there's their Messages+ app that seems to allow for scheduled messages.

mirz2000

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
US
I think there are websites that allow you to schedule text messages? Although your number wouldn't probably show up as the sender... and you would be giving your friends' phone number to a random website...

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
If the person is that important to the OP, set an alarm and send them the text.

Scheduling a text is very useful. I don't want to have to wake up early in the morning to send a text if I can have it done automatically. Not everyone uses their devices in the same way. It would be nice to have the option, just because you have no use for it doesn't mean others can't use it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Scheduling a text is very useful. I don't want to have to wake up early in the morning to send a text if I can have it done automatically. Not everyone uses their devices in the same way. It would be nice to have the option, just because you have no use for it doesn't mean others can't use it.

Yeah, I often get told off for waking people when I send a text late at night. I'm assuming their phone is switched off or muted, it isn't like I'm expecting a reply until the next day. Being able to schedule a text would be great.

Reactions: lordofthereef

d-b

Suspended
Feb 8, 2013
Any way to use Message.app to schedule SMS from my iPhone? That could/should be an acceptable workaround for most people.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Any way to use Message.app to schedule SMS from my iPhone? That could/should be an acceptable workaround for most people.
As this thread has discussed, there isn't a way to do that without perhaps some type of a jailbreak tweak.

d-b

Suspended
Feb 8, 2013
As this thread has discussed, there isn't a way to do that without perhaps some type of a jailbreak tweak.

I was not referring to the SMS-app on my phone but to Messages.app on my computer that uses the phone to send SMS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.