Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
What's the point of flyover other than it looks cool? I would think their focus should be fixing core functionality like poi's rather than bells and whistles like flyover.

They probably already have most raw flyover data and it's added once computer processed.

Whereas POIs have to be fixed one at time manually it seems. So POIs should be fixed by 2021. ;)

VanityBonet

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
It's definitely expanding in the Denver area. Here are a couple things I just noticed. In the first screen shot you can see the exact line where the 3D flyover area stops and where the 2D starts. In the second picture you can tell that the 3D map was made during the spring/summer and the 2D map was done during the fall/winter. It almost looks like a fire swept through the west end of town. Lol.

ugh like really ? These look like badly photoshopped pics....wtf

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Why do I get the feeling that Apple is allocating their whole Maps team to tackle one country/region at a time instead of the world simultaneously?

Wouldn't it be better to split them into teams and divert resources equally among all regions? o_O All the error corrections seems to be focused on Europe (UK) and US region, even though there are not many.

Why would that be appropriate?

Allocate resources to where their major user bases are (United States).

BDoggPrelude

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2009
Colorado
ugh like really ? These look like badly photoshopped pics....wtf
It's not that bad. It is zoomed in all the way. I don't think Apple can be expected to have the full detail of every single tree on the planet rendered in the 3D flyover maps. That's kind of an unreasonable expectation IMO. Besides, would you rather they devote all of their time to rendering every leaf on every tree in the world on the 3D maps or focus on making iOS better as a whole? Personally, I've only ever used the 3D flyover mode as entertainment and to impress people interested in the phone. I don't think it really serves any practical purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.