Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZaYoOoD

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Hey,
As most of you know the 2012 Mac Mini has a huge problem with HDMI displays. The most annoying of all is the crushed whites, and bad colours.
I cannot stand this any more, it is really annoying!

So, any ideas about the release date of 10.8.3, or the release date of the fix?

thnx

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
i'm planning on buying a 2012 mini and hook it up to my hdtv via hdmi. where are these problems you mentioned discussed on the web?

ZaYoOoD

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Yes, everyone has them..
But hopefully the next update will fix them..
The problem is in the i5 processor..

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Yes, everyone has them..
But hopefully the next update will fix them..
The problem is in the i5 processor..
No. Not everyone has them.

No. The problem is not in the i5 processor.

Since the mid-December EFI update, a small number of mini owners have trouble with whites/brightness with displays connected via HDMI. I'm not quite sure what the variable is, but it's a small number compared to the folks who had the HDMI flickering problem that was fixed in December.

I received my mini on 12/14, and immediately installed the update. So I've never had a hint of trouble.

I suspect the remaining HDMI issues will be fixed in 10.8.3. Just a guess.

John

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
I have the i7 and the hdmi output is garbage. Bad colors, text is absolute trash.

DVI is crisp and excellent. I was shocked at the difference.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I have the i7 and the hdmi output is garbage. Bad colors, text is absolute trash.

my hdmi to my sony tv is really good.

but if I move the mini and hook it to my 24 inch monitor it suffers.

the tv is 1080p the monitor is 1200p

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
I don't know if it's resolution or simply standing back far enough from a TV. My 1080p 46" tv is good for when I watch movies connecting the mini via HDMI; movies look sharp and in HD. But that might be because I'm sitting 10 feet away and unable to make out fine details like text on a paper.

When I connect it to my 23" HP 1080p monitor, the DVI works great (I use it for work, so text definition is a must) for text and movies, but HDMI looks awful.

Maybe because I'm sitting too close? Who knows.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
Since the mid-December EFI update, a small number of mini owners have trouble with whites/brightness with displays connected via HDMI. I'm not quite sure what the variable is, but it's a small number compared to the folks who had the HDMI flickering problem that was fixed in December.

The update fixed the blackout/snow issue for most people, but it didn't handle the crushed out whites. This problem still prevails.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
The update fixed the blackout/snow issue for most people, but it didn't handle the crushed out whites. This problem still prevails.
That's what I said. It's just not a problem that everyone has, which is what ZaYoOoD said. I've never seen it the crushed whites problem. And based on the number of complaints on Mac forums, it's a less prevalent problem than the original blackout/snow/flicker HDMI issue.

That doesn't mean it that it doesn't need to be fixed.

I'm not registered as an OS X developer, so I don't know what 10.8.3 does.

John

Xowi

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012

Text bad on television display or computer intended display?

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Text bad on television display or computer intended display?

Computer. HP 2311xi, but honestly I tried with a few different computer-monitors, all in the mid-range ($250 - $400), with different HDMI cables too. All the same.

I hook up to my 46" plasma once in a while to watch a movie on VLC, and it looks great. Probably because I'm not sitting 12 inches away and movies don't show a lot of tiny text. But colors on the tv, playing a 1080p movie, is what you would expect from a decent bluray player.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.