Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Here's the basics of my current set up.

One 802.11 Draft N Airport Express (first revision, 2008 model) creating a wifi network, connected to living room stereo for AirPlay. Currently set to 802.11n (b/g compatible).

One 802.11 b/g AirPort Express (original) in the other room joining the network in bridge mode with another pair of connected speakers.

I've got two problems. The first is that I get significantly slower transfer speeds between my MacBook Pro and the Mac mini in the living room when the MBP is in the bedroom, and my apartment is not very large.

The second problem is that when AirPlay streaming audio to either one APX or the other, or to both at once, I get frequent dropouts and interruptions to the music. This occurs far more often than it ever used to when I was just streaming to the old APX.

Is there anything that I can do to increase the wifi signal to the bedroom or to eliminate AirPlay dropouts without having to buy new hardware? Would buying a new APX even help?

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Here's the basics of my current set up.

One 802.11 Draft N Airport Express (first revision, 2008 model) creating a wifi network, connected to living room stereo for AirPlay. Currently set to 802.11n (b/g compatible).

One 802.11 b/g AirPort Express (original) in the other room joining the network in bridge mode with another pair of connected speakers.

I've got two problems. The first is that I get significantly slower transfer speeds between my MacBook Pro and the Mac mini in the living room when the MBP is in the bedroom, and my apartment is not very large.

The second problem is that when AirPlay streaming audio to either one APX or the other, or to both at once, I get frequent dropouts and interruptions to the music. This occurs far more often than it ever used to when I was just streaming to the old APX.

Is there anything that I can do to increase the wifi signal to the bedroom or to eliminate AirPlay dropouts without having to buy new hardware? Would buying a new APX even help?

It appears the signal is not making it to one of your devices. The best thing to do is to move the router or the devices to where there is no possible interference (such as walls).

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
1. First download a utility like the free iStumbler beta and look at the other networks to see if they are using the same wireless channel.

2. I Airport utility use the 5 GHz and most third party 5 GHz cheap routers can't use the higher (in the hundreds) channels. So change your 5 GHz router to a hundreds channel. Others around you won't be able to reach it.

3. Get to know you Mac System Preferences->Network tab. Pay attention to the 'Advanced button and the Wi-Fi mini-tab 'Preferred Networks' list. Also consider making custom named Location (at the top of the System Preferences->Network pane) calling it either home, work, school, roaming, etc. This way you can save Network settings at every major place you visit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.