Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old May 1, 2013, 12:07 PM   #1
ramenaddict
macrumors newbie

FCPX: Issues with G-Drive Mini USB 3.0

Hi everyone,
I'm having a variety of issues with editing simple to complex projects in FCPX 10.0.8 and 10.0.7 on my 2012 iMac 24" 4GB RAM. (USB 2.0)

The drive will mount and appear fine in Finder. Importing into FCPX is usually fine. Then almost randomly, FCPX will freeze completely.

I've gone into Finder to make sure it's still mounted, and sometimes it is, sometimes you can see it under "Devices," but when you click to show contents it freezes Finder, forcing me to Relaunch Finder.

Does anyone else have similar problems? The only thing I can guess is that there is something up with the iMac USB 2.0 talking to the G-Drive USB 3.0 while using FCPX?

These issues are quite persistent. I'm a teacher, and we give these drives to all students taking the class, using these same iMacs. Many students are having issues like this and I can't figure it out. It's driving me insane!
ramenaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 08:16 AM   #2
zyr123
macrumors regular

no problems at all

I have had zero problems with the g mini, while using my macbook pro. I connected it through thunderbolt to fw, since a plastic fw cord broke of in my fw port. So possibly your problem the problem is usb 3.0, try connecting the g mini through fw 800 instead of usb 3.0.
zyr123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Not enough of a computer wiz to help properly, but you'd be better off plugging the drive into a FireWire port. USB is not good for video editing, especially USB 2.0. Plugging a USB 3.0 device into a USB 2.0 port (Or vice versa) will only give you the speed of the slower interface.

Apple
Siderz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video