Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theBostonian

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
I purchased an unlocked iPhone 5 in the UK and brought it with me to Greece. The first company I got a pay as you go nano-sim from didn't offer much internet so I never had it turned on and my phone would stay cool, while lasting 2 days with 8 hours of use on a full charge.

Today, I acquired a new provider with better internet in my area. They didn't give me a nano-sim but instead cut a normal sim down to size. I noticed the silicon was a little scratched at the edge.

When I used 3G, even in the city centre, the phone heats up a lot and the battery percentage drains very rapidly which kind of sucks.

Is this normal for all iPhone 5s or is there something amiss (ie either not a strong signal or perhaps the damaged sim)?

Would be nice to hear other's views!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Impossible to answer questions like this. Use of resources like processor requires battery and produces heat as a byproduct. It could be normal. It could be abnormal. Without knowing specifically what you were doing there's no telling.

theBostonian

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Well, I thought it was implied in my post that I was doing nothing different other than using 3G internet to browse. I was using the Facebook app and the iOS browser.

Did I really need to specify that? I mean, it's not as if I had suddenly engaged in heavy rendering on my phone immediately after acquiring 3G... That's "literally" the only difference; without 3g internet enabled > phone cold/battery last long time. With 3g internet enabled > phone hot/battery no last long time.

There are no other variables.

Biomage

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2013
I have exactly the same problem,while i am on 3g i am on fb,tapatalk etc, no hard usage...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.