Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:06 AM   #51
dona83
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by loybond View Post
Fellow Canadian eh! Are you using vintage lenses? Why did you find the need to manually focus?
Yep! You'll see me at a hockey arena with a cup of Tims! lol. I think you'll see that in Michigan too, maybe they should join Canada.

That was the kit lens that came with the NEX-5. IMO, the kit lens with the NEX-5 is superb, solid metal body and a very nice looking glass lens, it looks expensive and takes great shots too. I took some nice shots of my son playing behind one of those wire and bead toys, but I didn't know the camera focused on the wire and bead, not my son sitting behind it.

The higher end model Sony SLT cameras (A55, A67, A77, A99) have a mode where focused edges are highlighted in green, it's a really awesome feature. I don't know if the NEX-6 has that feature or not, would really assist in focusing photos. The NEX-7 I know has this feature for sure. But anyway, the NEX-6 has an OLED viewfinder like my A33, so it should still be quite easy to make sure the right subject is focussed.
dona83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:43 PM   #52
tekmoe
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dona83 View Post
The higher end model Sony SLT cameras (A55, A67, A77, A99) have a mode where focused edges are highlighted in green, it's a really awesome feature. I don't know if the NEX-6 has that feature or not, would really assist in focusing photos. The NEX-7 I know has this feature for sure. But anyway, the NEX-6 has an OLED viewfinder like my A33, so it should still be quite easy to make sure the right subject is focussed.
My NEX-6 gives me 3 different color options for the focused edges - White, Green, or Yellow.
tekmoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:47 PM   #53
loybond
macrumors member

LOL, they can keep Michigan.

OK, so basically because you had some shots with missed focus. The NEX-5N has focus peaking too. I found that the kit lens is so-so. As you can see in one of my pics (the landscape with the bridge), it has a horrible lack of sharpness at the edges, and that's at f/8.

Maybe later this year, I'll be looking at a D600 or something like that. Really like that full frame quality and DoF. There's a full frame NEX coming, but none of the current lenses will work on it. There are some new Zeiss lenses coming that are rumoured to work, but dunno... right now buying any glass seems like a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dona83 View Post
Yep! You'll see me at a hockey arena with a cup of Tims! lol. I think you'll see that in Michigan too, maybe they should join Canada.

That was the kit lens that came with the NEX-5. IMO, the kit lens with the NEX-5 is superb, solid metal body and a very nice looking glass lens, it looks expensive and takes great shots too. I took some nice shots of my son playing behind one of those wire and bead toys, but I didn't know the camera focused on the wire and bead, not my son sitting behind it.

Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:40 PM   #54
Cheese&Apple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You aren't going to be able to beat the image quality of the NEX unless you step up to full frame. Well, The Fujis are slightly better, but that's mostly due to lack of a moire filter, and they cost a lot.

Here are some sample NEX-5N shots with the kit lens, the last two pics are ISO 25,600 and 12,800.

Thumb resize.

OK...all this camera and lens talk is great but...where did you get that poutine loybond?

It looks amazing!
Cheese&Apple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:37 AM   #55
loybond
macrumors member

It is amazing! It's at a place called RD's BBQ in Brampton. Run by an interesting man named Jean, this guy is the real deal. He really loves food and cooking. Part of his roots trace back to Louisiana, where he learned a lot of the creole and BBQ offerings he has at his restaurant. He cooks everything the way food enthusiasts do at home. For example, the gravy... it took him a while to perfect it. It takes him more than a day to make it.

I did my MBA in Texas and enjoyed a lot of the food down there... up here, I've tried every single BBQ place, and RDs is one of the best.

If you end up going, try the pulled pork (GTA's best IMO), the beef brisket (excellent) and of course the mammoth, which is the poutine you see in the picture. It comes topped with a lot of beef brisket, and I sometimes get it with sweet potato fries. And tell him you're a friend of Dean's.

I have a couple of blog posts about RDs:

http://www.adventuristo.com/rds-bbq/

http://www.adventuristo.com/review-rds-bbq/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese&Apple View Post
Thumb resize.

OK...all this camera and lens talk is great but...where did you get that poutine loybond?

It looks amazing!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:53 AM   #56
loybond
macrumors member

Some more pics. I really like the HDR B&W mode on the 5N.

Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:18 AM   #57
Cheese&Apple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It is amazing! It's at a place called RD's BBQ in Brampton.
My taste buds are tingling…thanks for the tip loybond. I've had trouble finding a really good spot for Louisiana/Cajun/Creole/BBQ home style cooking.

Looking forward to meeting Jean!

OK, back to the camera and lens stuff....the D600 awesome! You won't be disappointed.
Cheese&Apple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:28 AM   #58
Micky Do
macrumors 6502

Go for something with a proper viewfinder, be it DSLR or mirrorless.

I don't know why they did away with the viewfinder, so people only have the LCD screen to frame pictures. For handheld photography, especially if there is any action involved, you can frame the picture better. Also the camera is more stable held against the face, rather than held out in front of you.

I used to enjoy photography using a small rangefinder 35mm camera, but was camera less for many years until six months ago when I bought my first digital camera. It is one of the Olympus "Tough" series, and it has been a lot of fun, and useful. Most of the stories of the Phuket cricket league in the local newspapers since mid '12 have been taken with it.

Having got digital photography sussed to some extent, I am looking to upgrade, and a proper viewfinder is a high priority. I am weighing up whether to go for something like the Fujifilm 10X, or bite the bullet and fork out a bit more for a DSLR.
Micky Do is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:17 AM   #59
loybond
macrumors member

I bought a Rebel XT (350D) a long time ago, and kinda missed having a screen when I had that. With the articulating screen on the NEX-5N, you don't have to get down on your stomach for low perspective shots, or even crouch. With this NEX, I found that in bright outdoor scenarios, I was missing the viewfinder though. The NEX-6 seems to get it right with both, but I don't think the screen articulates, which is a really dumb design decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Do View Post

I don't know why they did away with the viewfinder, so people only have the LCD screen to frame pictures. For handheld photography, especially if there is any action involved, you can frame the picture better. Also the camera is more stable held against the face, rather than held out in front of you.

I used to enjoy photography using a small rangefinder 35mm camera, but was camera less for many years until six months ago when I bought my first digital camera. It is one of the Olympus "Tough" series, and it has been a lot of fun, and useful. Most of the stories of the Phuket cricket league in the local newspapers since mid '12 have been taken with it.

Having got digital photography sussed to some extent, I am looking to upgrade, and a proper viewfinder is a high priority. I am weighing up whether to go for something like the Fujifilm 10X, or bite the bullet and fork out a bit more for a DSLR.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:06 PM   #60
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Do View Post

I don't necessarily agree. A flip screen and focus peaking shoots a lot like old view cameras....and with live view you can keep both eyes on the action vs evf. I love shooting rangefinders and nex is pretty good comparatively...with the flip screen. The rx1 should have come with a vf for sure at that price.
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:34 PM   #61
dona83
macrumors regular

Quote:
LOL, they can keep Michigan.

OK, so basically because you had some shots with missed focus. The NEX-5N has focus peaking too. I found that the kit lens is so-so. As you can see in one of my pics (the landscape with the bridge), it has a horrible lack of sharpness at the edges, and that's at f/8.

Maybe later this year, I'll be looking at a D600 or something like that. Really like that full frame quality and DoF. There's a full frame NEX coming, but none of the current lenses will work on it. There are some new Zeiss lenses coming that are rumoured to work, but dunno... right now buying any glass seems like a waste.
I just want a 16-50mm f/2.8 lens. I dunno, somehow the NEX series cameras were better, maybe because it's a mirrorless camera rather than a semi-transluscent? It's nothing something I think about so I have to increase exposure a bit through iPhoto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
My NEX-6 gives me 3 different color options for the focused edges - White, Green, or Yellow.
Thanks!!!
dona83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:54 AM   #62
jameshill286
macrumors newbie

i will suggest you dslr......
jameshill286 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:48 PM   #63
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360097274.581691.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	394702Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360097289.603078.jpg
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	394703Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360097308.953106.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	394704

5n test samples contax g45/2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360097319.612256.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	394705  
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 02:19 AM   #64
Guru22
macrumors newbie

Yeah, sony nex is good according to your budget but you can check t-dimension because there are so many handy cameras!

Thanks
Guru22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography