Ok... I got the Galaxy S3 - Page 6 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:35 PM   #126
Fireblade
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdahe View Post
Well... got the Galaxy S3 since August 11... it's been 11 days. What can I say?.. ok

1. NO LAG... I haven't seen any lag what so ever. The phone is very smooth.

2. SPEED 4GLTE: I'm just going to say... WOW!.. yesterday I did a speed test and got 18MG of download and 4MB of upload. It's insane. You will love when uploading videos to Youtube.

3. Camera performance in low light: Excellent... check out this video of a concert I went last weekend - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsFJxS_O-wo

4. WIDGETS: I'm really loving this...

5. SCREEN: the resolution is amazing. Videos and photos are so sharp and crisp. The screem is gorgeous.

6. BATTERY: it goes all day.. no problems here. Sometimes I think is better than the iPhone's battery.

7. SYNC: I can sync my phone with my calendar and contacts with my mac.. even better since it's all online. Just like icloud.

I don't think I'm coming back to iPhone

100% agree.

Since I used to have smartphones, I always had iPones (3G,3GS,4)until the day, the S2 came out.
Now owning a S3 since may, couldnīt be happier, really enjoying that beast.
Canīt imagine ever going back to an iPhone.
Fireblade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:12 AM   #127
partyBoy
Banned

does anyone know how to put a song from the market place into a ringtone on the galaxy S3, i downloaded the song from the market and i could play it on google play but there is no option to add as a ringtone?? i even went to "my files" but i could not find it? but then i went to a app called "zedge" and i downloaded another ringtone to test it out and it worked when i added it as a ring tone but zedge does not have the song that i want as a ring tone
partyBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:25 AM   #128
mrskullfreak
macrumors 6502

Looking at the s3 for my daughter for Xmas she has the i4 now.
Can she put any music on it from iTunes?
And also what about pics can we put them on a Mac easily?
Thx.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:27 AM   #129
nharrietha
macrumors member

My experience with the S3's screen is that it's really freakin' good... until you go outside.
That's one of the only cons I can think of against it though. Can't wait to see what they do with the S4, that's for another thread though.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:53 AM   #130
Ericcc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskullfreak View Post
Looking at the s3 for my daughter for Xmas she has the i4 now.
Can she put any music on it from iTunes?
And also what about pics can we put them on a Mac easily?
Thx.
DoubleTwist can synch music, has a paid wireless synch upgrade
AirDroid allows you to transfer files wirelessly
Ericcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:12 AM   #131
AppleRobert
macrumors 68000

Got one from metro pcs with no contract. Loving it.
AppleRobert is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:35 AM   #132
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyBoy View Post
does anyone know how to put a song from the market place into a ringtone on the galaxy S3, i downloaded the song from the market and i could play it on google play but there is no option to add as a ringtone?? i even went to "my files" but i could not find it? but then i went to a app called "zedge" and i downloaded another ringtone to test it out and it worked when i added it as a ring tone but zedge does not have the song that i want as a ring tone
Use the app Ringdroid. You can make ring tones easy from any part of the song.
Vegastouch is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:19 PM   #133
Sdahe
macrumors 68000

Got a new S3.... after my first thread I went back to the iphone. Missed lots of things from the S3 and now I got another S3. In this case I got a white one. Finally decided to stay with this phone. Its much better in many ways from the iphone. Now with Jelly Bean is another story... is even better. Not going back to iphone...
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:04 PM   #134
partyBoy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegastouch View Post
Use the app Ringdroid. You can make ring tones easy from any part of the song.
you sir are the best..i discovered how to resolve my ringtone issue and i used ringdroid to edit the ringtone, i wonder what ever happened to the "save as" option, you would think that something so simple and something lot of people use, android would make it easy instead of complicated
partyBoy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:50 PM   #135
Sdahe
macrumors 68000

A really think Apple is staying back behind... that's how you think after using a Galaxy S3 for a while.. and with Jelly Bean is the best. Project butter is great
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:22 AM   #136
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Jelly Bean is nothing special for an iOS user that never had to deal with the lag in the first place.
Yea but now it means Android users have performance and features...regardless of how smooth you try to claim iOS is, it's still a feature vacuum.
SlCKB0Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:47 AM   #137
mackandproud
macrumors 6502

I've never owned a smartphone before.

What phone is easier to use for a first time user? A samsung S3 or Iphone5?

I want my transition to smartphones to be as smooth as possible with a very abbreviated learning curve. I'm willing to give up some features and flexibility to avoid troubleshooting, glitches, etc.

I just want a reliable smartphone to start off with.
mackandproud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:57 AM   #138
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
Yea but now it means Android users have performance and features...regardless of how smooth you try to claim iOS is, it's still a feature vacuum.
The nexus 7 lags and stutters quite a lot though, which is kinda annoying as I would expect the vanilla android devices to be the most smooth. My S3 never lagged like that, before or after jelly bean.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:38 AM   #139
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
The nexus 7 lags and stutters quite a lot though,
Mine doesn't do this at all. The only time this really happens is when I install an App and I'm guessing it's due to I/O on the NAND but this has happened with every single device in this class that i've owned.

What I'm suggesting is that yours simply should not be behaving in that way...unless you are referring to this happening in particular apps or something (and not the OS UI and animations/transitions).
SlCKB0Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:10 AM   #140
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The nexus 7 lags and stutters quite a lot though, which is kinda annoying as I would expect the vanilla android devices to be the most smooth. My S3 never lagged like that, before or after jelly bean.
Agreed, mine's terrible. Scrolling within apps is juddery (it's the worst at slower speeds), it seems to drop frames all the time and the touchscreen has never felt as accurate as even my old 3GS. It's not just my unit though, I work with a guy whose N7 performs exactly like mine, as did a demo unit I tried at JB Hi-Fi.

That's not exactly the largest sample size, but if the N7 is supposed to be better than what I've experienced, you'd think at least one of the three I've tried would perform how it's supposed to. I could just be really, really unlucky, but given that there's been a rise in the number of people on here having bought and come away disappointed in the N7's performance, I don't think that's the case.

Last edited by ReanimationN; Dec 9, 2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: typo
ReanimationN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:54 AM   #141
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Mine doesn't do this at all. The only time this really happens is when I install an App and I'm guessing it's due to I/O on the NAND but this has happened with every single device in this class that i've owned.

What I'm suggesting is that yours simply should not be behaving in that way...unless you are referring to this happening in particular apps or something (and not the OS UI and animations/transitions).
Any app that scrolls can cause it. It's most prominent in the play store or when scrolling horizontally between widget pages though.

It's fast, but stutters/gets stuck briefly quite a bit.

The N7 is less than a week old and was bought directly from Google, so there shouldn't be any issues yet.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReanimationN View Post
Agreed, mine's terrible. Scrolling within apps is juddery (it's the worst at slower speeds), it seems to drop frames all the time and the touchscreen has never felt as accurate as even my old 3GS. It's not just my unit though, I work with a guy whose N7 performs exactly like mine, as did a demo unit I tried at JB Hi-Fi.

That's not exactly the largest sample size, but if the N7 is supposed to be better than what I've experienced, you'd think at least one of the three I've tried would perform how it's supposed to. I could just be really, really unlucky, but given that there'a been a rise in the number of people on here having bought and come away disappointed in the N7's performance, I don't think that's the case.
Exactly. I'm not sure what's wrong, whether its the scrolling animation or the touch input, but scrolling is nowhere near as smooth as my iPhone 5 or iPad 2.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:14 AM   #142
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Any app that scrolls can cause it. It's most prominent in the play store or when scrolling horizontally between widget pages though.
I've come across some Apps which have poor scrolling performance and i tend to avoid them and find something else but the play store is extremely smooth for me. The later versions of it make it among the smoothest apps on my N7.

Quote:
The N7 is less than a week old and was bought directly from Google, so there shouldn't be any issues yet.
Are you on 4.2? Did you try that Google currents fix for lag?

Edit: http://www.talkandroid.com/141899-do...-fix-for-that/

Last edited by SlCKB0Y; Dec 9, 2012 at 07:23 AM.
SlCKB0Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:20 AM   #143
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
I've come across some Apps which have poor scrolling performance and i tend to avoid them and find something else but the play store is extremely smooth for me. The later versions of it make it among the smoothest apps on my N7.

Are you on 4.2? Did you try that Google currents fix for lag that's going around?
It's too early to say for sure but that does seem to have helped, thanks!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices