Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Just wondering if running Apple Hardware Test is recommended for new iMacs? Someone told me that I should do it a while ago..

I started my AHT after I installed my RAM and tested the computer screen, chose the extended version, and now the bar is only about 25% after 1.5 hours. Is the speed typical, and is it really necessary to finish out the Apple Hardware Test? Perhaps I didn't need to choose extended?

I guess it's better to be safer than sorry, but this is taking a really long time :eek:

EDIT: Urgh. Hit stop test button and it doesn't stop the test ;_; I hope I didn't mess anything up.

Last edited:

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
How much ram is in the computer? That can be related to the extended test taking several hours to complete.

corpfan1

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Same thing happening to me.

Got new iMac...ran extended test...it seems to freeze about 20 mins in (says 20min 15s).

Stopping the test does nothing. Fans were whirring really loud at this point.

Also tried the normal test...seems to freeze at 30s and same thing...loud fans at this point and stop test won't work.

Machine is working great - blazing fast...installed 32GB Kingston HyperX memory and it is the fully specced new late 2012 iMac.

Not sure if I need to run these tests or not...anything else I should try/test?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.