Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:04 PM   #26
Apple Key
macrumors 6502a

Eh, it looks very much like the Windows 8 UI.

(and Fast Company's logo is so ugly)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:10 PM   #27
FightTheFuture
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to FightTheFuture
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
the awkward moment when all the google apps look better than the native iOS apps ^^
that's weird - it took me almost 15 minutes to figure out how to go into "driving mode" in Google Maps. but at least it looks pretty so it must be better.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:13 PM   #28
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightTheFuture View Post
that's weird - it took me almost 15 minutes to figure out how to go into "driving mode" in Google Maps. but at least it looks pretty so it must be better.
huh? its the most obvious button on the top, just like on apple maps
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:26 PM   #29
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
the awkward moment when all the google apps look better than the native iOS apps ^^
Yeah - Where's the Android update
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:35 PM   #30
FightTheFuture
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to FightTheFuture
Quote:
huh? its the most obvious button on the top, just like on apple maps
well first you have to search or enter the destination, select the car on the bottom, select the car on the top, then select the route. And it doesn't show you the map of the route until after it's selected. It confused a lot of folks who were used to Apple's maps (before and after google). I'm not saying that Google doesn't make a good looking interface, but it's not the most intuitive.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:00 PM   #31
philr5150
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
One day soon, I'm gonna invent a time machine. When that day comes, the first thing I'll do is head back in time, find the guy who first coined "...you are the product", and smack him upside the head as hard as I can.

Maybe it'll shame him enough so he'll never say it. Then, when I come back to the present, I'll never have to hear anyone ever say it again. It is the STUPIDEST damn thing people on Apple boards say.

I mean hell. You've always "been the product" for Google. No one had a problem with this until they released Android. Now apparently it's this horrible thing, being able to use a product for free in exchange for demographic data.

God, I tell ya. I wish some people would think about the things they say rather than hop onto the latest catchphrase bandwagon.
Steve would never of allowed that. :-D
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:05 PM   #32
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by philr5150 View Post
Steve would never of allowed that. :-D
:angry face: :shakes fist:
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:53 PM   #33
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightTheFuture View Post
well first you have to search or enter the destination, select the car on the bottom, select the car on the top, then select the route. And it doesn't show you the map of the route until after it's selected. It confused a lot of folks who were used to Apple's maps (before and after google). I'm not saying that Google doesn't make a good looking interface, but it's not the most intuitive.
depends. Honestly first time I used Apple maps I had a lot of trouble using it. I tried to use it like google maps. I am use to how things work on Android. Helping my mom figure it out on her iPhone was tricky for me.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:57 PM   #34
jonnyb
macrumors 6502a

So is no one else experiencing the music bug?
jonnyb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:21 PM   #35
Tunnelrunner
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Yeah - Where's the Android update
Heh. I actually prefer the more robust, feature-packed Android version of Google Maps to the iOS version and keep waiting for the iOS version to update. YMMV.

Last edited by Tunnelrunner; Jan 25, 2013 at 06:10 PM.
Tunnelrunner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:19 PM   #36
redsoxfan320
macrumors member

Too bad you need iOS 6 for this update
redsoxfan320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:30 PM   #37
jtara
macrumors 65816

Non-starter due to requiring you to log-in with your Google ID.

I will not use apps that require login for no reason.

I realize that logging-in can offer some benefits (such as sharing with a desktop machine) but is absolutely not a need for a newsreader app.

Pass.
jtara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:06 PM   #38
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnelrunner View Post
Heh. I actually prefer the more robust, feature-packed Android version of Google Maps to the iOS version and keep waiting for the iOS version to update. YMMV.
Yep: Android wifi only tablet plus iPhone tethered for data = Mint navigation system in the car

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtara View Post
Non-starter due to requiring you to log-in with your Google ID.

I will not use apps that require login for no reason.

I realize that logging-in can offer some benefits (such as sharing with a desktop machine) but is absolutely not a need for a newsreader app.

Pass.
Well what harm does it do you? And unless there’s a mss boycott, you’ll be the one who’s missing out
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:18 PM   #39
maxosx
macrumors 68020

I believe in giving credit where credits due.

Google has done a great job with the various mobile services, iOS App's apps, and the like. They've been a true contributor to the iPhones success.

Apple learned the hard way when they walked away from google maps. Google stepped up showing that they don't let their egos get in the way.

Even being the target of Apple' wrath, Google realizes how valuable public image is.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:34 PM   #40
jtara
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Well what harm does it do you? And unless there’s a mss boycott, you’ll be the one who’s missing out
I've no interest in Google - or anybody else - tracking what news I read.

I realize that all of the news aggregators certainly collect both aggregate and personal usage information, but without registration, it isn't tied to my personal identity, and not tracked across multiple services.

A Google ID is the closest thing we have to an official Government ID. Not issued by the government, but might as well be.

I'm not a paranoid conspiracy theorist. I just don't think it's prudent to hand over my:

- reading habits
- political leanings
- purchase history
- web searches
- contacts and affiliations
- where I'm looking on a map
- etc. etc. etc.

to a single organization for incorporation into their database about me.

I have a Google ID because I need one because I am a software developer and registered for some Google APIs. As well, I ocassionaly use Google Wallet to make a purchase. I search logged-out. I don't have a Facebook account.

There is absolutely no reason they need this in order for me to read news. I use Zite and News360, which I'm pretty happy with. (Though Zite much more so before their recent acquisition by CNN and "improved" app.) Neither require that you log-in to use the app.
jtara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:23 PM   #41
Riles31
macrumors newbie

Currents for IOS

First tried Pulse, then Flipboard and finally Currents.. After a few months it's still great. Excellent UI, easy to read and offers a broad range of reading materials. Love it.
Riles31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion