Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jblaven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Hey Guys,

I'm stumped on something. After using a Hero3 to capture pics for a time lapse project, I'm having issues accessing the pics as files in the finder.

I went through 22,000 photos and flagged about 2,000 that show great action. I need to access these flagged photos in the order in which they are presented in iPhoto. The pictures that were flagged were in individual events (days) and were copied into an album.

It appears there is no clear, automatic file name ordering of the photos over the days. However, the flagged photos do show to be in order in the new album.

When I export the images from iPhoto, it seems to be out of order in the Finder folder. Is it using the file names (which don't seem to be in consecutive order)? When I try and list the files by date created, it appears that the files were created at the time of export.

I considered using the Automator to pull the flagged images, hoping that there would be a way to keep the order, but I don't see a way to build that workflow.

If there is a way to view the exported images in the same order shown in iPhoto? If so, how?

I am really stumped and frustrated. This is for work and I feel this shouldn't be as difficult as it appears. :confused:

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Specs are:

OS 10.7.5
iPhoto '11 Ver. 9.2.3 (629.52)
Automator Ver. 2.2.4 (339.2)
AppleScript Editor Ver. 2.4.3 (131.2)

Thanks,

Joe

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Are you exporting them in their original format (the first option on the export menu)?

I just tried with that option, and the files it exported show up in Finder with their original photo dates (2010), not today's date.

Also, I tried it with "sequential" for the file name, so they came out in consecutive order. If you use "Use filename", I think it retains the camera name, which means there would be gaps if there were unflagged photos between the flagged ones you exported?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 1.03.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 1.03.51 PM.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 114

jblaven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Are you exporting them in their original format (the first option on the export menu)?

I just tried with that option, and the files it exported show up in Finder with their original photo dates (2010), not today's date.

Also, I tried it with "sequential" for the file name, so they came out in consecutive order. If you use "Use filename", I think it retains the camera name, which means there would be gaps if there were unflagged photos between the flagged ones you exported?

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

----------

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Doing it now. I feel pretty good it will work this time. Dang, that was easy. I was using JPEG format instead of Original. :D

I'll post back once it finishes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.