Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:45 PM   #1
Christopher11
macrumors member

Transfer Contacts from my Macbook without iCloud?

Hi there. My macbook (2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo. OS 10.5.8) doesn't have Mountain Lion, and thus doesn't have iCloud. My new iPhone 4 does of course. What is the best way to transfer my contacts from my contacts book on my Macbook to my iPhone 4?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Last edited by Christopher11; Nov 11, 2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: fill out details
Christopher11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:37 AM   #2
VPrime
macrumors 65832

You can use iTunes.
Or sync your address book with a service like google, then have it sync to your phone with googles exchange servers.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:06 AM   #3
Christopher11
macrumors member

Thank you. I thought of using iTunes, but when connected I only seem to be able to transfer audio or video. Can you tell me how i would select the contact info for the iphone 4? I exported my contacts to my desktop on my macbook. Thanks again.
Christopher11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:13 AM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Just open Address Book on the Mac and do a command-a to select all, then in the File menu select export and chose the export as vcard option. Now email that file to yourself on the iPhone and open it. You should be asked if you want to import all those contacts into the iPhone contacts. Done.
Weaselboy is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:15 AM   #5
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a

You only need Lion (OS X 10.7) to have iCloud, so maybe upgrade?

I don't know how to otherwise.
paulbennett95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:40 AM   #6
Christopher11
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Just open Address Book on the Mac and do a command-a to select all, then in the File menu select export and chose the export as vcard option. Now email that file to yourself on the iPhone and open it. You should be asked if you want to import all those contacts into the iPhone contacts. Done.
Worked! Thank you.
Christopher11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher11 View Post
Worked! Thank you.
Well of course it did. Glad that helped.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:23 AM   #8
davidinva
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Just got a new Macbook Pro and had trouble with Migration Assistant. Had to copy some files from an external drive. Didn't know how to do the Address Book. This worked perfectly. Shows that searching MacRumors is the best first step to answering a question. Thanks.

Last edited by davidinva; Jan 6, 2014 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Add name.
davidinva is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 04:59 AM   #9
Jameskey
macrumors newbie

Make sure you’re on ios7, then sign up for a free iCloud account. Enable it on all your devices (macs, pcs, phones), and your contacts will stay in sync automatically. Tehan set up and iCloud account on your phone and enable contacts syncing. Then sync your Mac with your iCloud account as shown here: http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/mac.html, and enable contact syncing.

Last edited by Jameskey; Jul 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM.
Jameskey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 08:06 AM   #10
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameskey View Post
Make sure you’re on ios7, then sign up for a free iCloud account. Enable it on all your devices (macs, pcs, phones), and your contacts will stay in sync automatically.
The problem here was the OP could not run iCloud due to an older version of OS X.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6