Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whackintosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I'm very strongly thinking about upgrading from my 2009 iMac but a number of reviews and posts are complaining about a yellow screen tint far more pronounced than in previous models, and it seems to vary from one machine to the next. Have Apple fixed this issue yet to get something more consistent or is still a luck of the draw situation?

Rich2Putt

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
MA
I'm very strongly thinking about upgrading from my 2009 iMac but a number of reviews and posts are complaining about a yellow screen tint far more pronounced than in previous models, and it seems to vary from one machine to the next. Have Apple fixed this issue yet to get something more consistent or is still a luck of the draw situation?

Had my 21.5 since Dec & not one single issue. Go for it & start enjoying your new Mac.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

The one I got for my wife's grandparents has a yellow tint on the entire right half the screen. They don't notice it so I didn't say anything, but it wouldn't be acceptable to me.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
On previous models of iMacs, who made the panels and was there a yellow tint then? I'm wondering if LG has always made the panels and if there has always been an issue.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
my 27 screen is fine.

What we don't know is just how bad it is. Is it 2 percent of screens? 10 percent?

IR and Yellow tint seem to be a solid problem so far along with some minor fan problems.

Some people are returning 3 or 4 times. Now we don't get to see these machines so perhaps they could be totally acceptable to us but not to them. It's all very unknown as to how big the problem really is. What is known is that it is definitely happening.

BUT I think I can say with certainty that you are far, far more likely to get a good machine than a bad one.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
The one I got for my wife's grandparents has a yellow tint on the entire right half the screen. They don't notice it so I didn't say anything, but it wouldn't be acceptable to me.

sir sir sir

you do relize that 4 years from now some dude like myself is going to buy that imac off of them and get it home, stare at the screen for a while and think "hmmmm why is that side slightly yellow" type in "2012 imac one side of the screen is yellow" and find out that the program that replaces those screens has ended 6 months earlier much like what happened to me with my core 2 duo imac

kennyap

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Cayman Islands

I just received my new iMac two days ago and I did a side-by-side with my 2011 27". They both have a slight yellowish tinge (very slight) in the bottom third of the screen. This is something no one, including myself, would notice unless they were looking for it.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
sir sir sir

you do relize that 4 years from now some dude like myself is going to buy that imac off of them and get it home, stare at the screen for a while and think "hmmmm why is that side slightly yellow" type in "2012 imac one side of the screen is yellow" and find out that the program that replaces those screens has ended 6 months earlier much like what happened to me with my core 2 duo imac

Yes, but, even if it were returned, it would end up being resold as a refurb anyway - at pretty close to full price. If it's sold in 4 years, it will be a bargain and the yellow screen likely won't sting as much to the buyer therefore.

Krrrt

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
I just received my new iMac two days ago and I did a side-by-side with my 2011 27". They both have a slight yellowish tinge (very slight) in the bottom third of the screen. This is something no one, including myself, would notice unless they were looking for it.

And about the brightness, they both have the same brightness ?

Thanks.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I am trying to buy my first imac (refurb) and for some reasons applet hates me. My first imac 27" had a huge yellow tint problem - a 3rd of bottom screen. My new imac - this time 21.5 also has the same issue, but a bit less intensive; however, noticable enough when doing a casual web browsing. I really want to get a mac as my next computer, but at this point i think i might end up with a dell ips panel and a mac mini as i cant really accept the fact that $2k computer has a hugely visible screen issue - i would understand if this some some knock off for $300, but not Apple product that costs 5-7 times more.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.