Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:01 AM   #1
c75mitch
macrumors newbie

27" imac boots to white screen with cursor

Hi all,

Just looking for a little advise. I have a late 2009 27" iMac 2.8 quad with 8 GB ram and 2TB HDD running Lion 10.7.4

I was using the Mac at the weekend watching a video in full screen and it hung. I resorted to rebooting it and it just came back to a bright white screen with a movable mouse cursor.

I have tried all the various resets but it just returned to the same screen. I was able to remote on to the Mac from my PC and drag off the files I needed so it appeared to be running fine although I could not see anything.
Next I used the recovery tool to check the HDD and repair, but again nothing helped. I then reloaded Lion through the recovery console via the internet but still have the same white screen with a cursor.

I have attempted to reload the machine with the original SL install disk but cannot get it to boot.

Lastly I erased the HDD from the recovery console and re-installed Lion for the internet and it is still doing the same!

FYI, Recovery console gets very slow after running for a few minutes taking minutes for clicks or typing to show on the screen, great when trying to type in an Apple ID and password!

Any advice or help gratefully received.

Cheers

Callum
c75mitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:05 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

Can you run AHT from your original installation media? Sounds like a graphics chip to me, but it's just a guess...
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:31 AM   #3
c75mitch
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

No, I can't run anything from the original disk. Once inserted it spins around for a bit the ejects.

FYI, graphics look fine in the recovery console but I am guessing that is not using the proper drivers etc.

Cheers

Callum
c75mitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:11 AM   #4
Sahid
macrumors newbie

Hey c75. I have identical iMac with identical problem. Did you ever solve it? If so, how?
Sahid is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion