Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Mar 28, 2013, 05:41 AM   #1
oldguru
macrumors member

Disk space was not free up after delete the big iPhoto library file

I deleted all the photos in the iPhoto, then cleaned the trash bin of iPhoto, however, the photo/iPhoto photolibrary file size still more than 200G. So I deleted the photolibrary file, and clean the system trash bin. The disk space still did not free up that 200G space.

Can anyone tell me how to free that 200G disk space?
oldguru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 05:51 AM   #2
Ledgem
macrumors 6502a

How are you verifying free space? Occasionally the Finder lags a bit in updating how much free space you have, but third-party programs tend to be even worse. If you're using a third-party program to verify free space, there's also the chance that the deleted files are now being marked as local backups; third-party programs do not view this as free space but the Finder does, since Finder will delete the backups over time and overwrite them if other data needs the space. In that case, it is essentially free space.

One other possibility is that you're suffering file system corruption and the system can't accurate gauge free space. Run Disk Utility and "verify disk" on the partition that housed your photo library. If there's corruption then fix it. If the corruption exists on your operating system drive then you will need to reboot into recovery mode and run Disk Utility from there to make the repair.
Ledgem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:33 AM   #3
oldguru
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
How are you verifying free space? Occasionally the Finder lags a bit in updating how much free space you have, but third-party programs tend to be even worse. If you're using a third-party program to verify free space, there's also the chance that the deleted files are now being marked as local backups; third-party programs do not view this as free space but the Finder does, since Finder will delete the backups over time and overwrite them if other data needs the space. In that case, it is essentially free space.

One other possibility is that you're suffering file system corruption and the system can't accurate gauge free space. Run Disk Utility and "verify disk" on the partition that housed your photo library. If there's corruption then fix it. If the corruption exists on your operating system drive then you will need to reboot into recovery mode and run Disk Utility from there to make the repair.
Thanks, I have rebooted into the recovery mode, and run/fixed the disk problem. Same diskspace as before.
The disk space issue has been two days, so it must not be the Finder lagging issue.

Any good filesize tool recommended? Like the Treesize under Windows.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:36 AM   #4
oldguru
macrumors member

I think I found the problem: Time machine created the local backup at disk

see this post

I used next command to disable the local backup.
sudo tmutil disablelocal
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguru View Post
Thanks, I have rebooted into the recovery mode, and run/fixed the disk problem. Same diskspace as before.
The disk space issue has been two days, so it must not be the Finder lagging issue.

Any good filesize tool recommended? Like the Treesize under Windows.
One of the reasons I hate iPhoto...Did you make sure to delete the "originals" folder? It keeps a copy of all your pictures in there, and, AFAIK, doesn't delete them when you clear the library.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Ledgem
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguru View Post
I think I found the problem: Time machine created the local backup at disk
As I wrote above, the local backups aren't truly used space. Third-party programs that try to analyze the disk space or looking at disk space in the "About this Mac" pane will show the space as being used, but the Finder should not. The reason is because the Finder will automatically delete and overwrite the local backups as needed. However, deleting those backups can be useful if you're using a SSD, as having more free space (truly free space) allows for better wear-leveling, which improves the longevity of the SSD.
Ledgem is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:33 PM   #7
oldguru
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
As I wrote above, the local backups aren't truly used space. Third-party programs that try to analyze the disk space or looking at disk space in the "About this Mac" pane will show the space as being used, but the Finder should not. The reason is because the Finder will automatically delete and overwrite the local backups as needed. However, deleting those backups can be useful if you're using a SSD, as having more free space (truly free space) allows for better wear-leveling, which improves the longevity of the SSD.
Thanks for sharing, buddy!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro