Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:24 PM   #76
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjeevRana View Post
My Cisco router connect to the IP5 five storeys down in a elevator as well .. only when I have exit out of the elevator on floor 1 does it actually go off wifi and instantly to LTE ...

In the driveway should have good signal not on the borderline unless your router is at the other end of a mansion

A word of advice, move your router to a part of your house which is nearer to the driveway and problem solved !
I bought airport extreme to extend my time capsule network for just that reason, now i get wifi perfectly in my driveway but when i drive away it takes a few seconds to turn off but the way i look at it is if i am driving i shouldnt be searching the web anyway, but not having it in the driveway is understandable.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:40 PM   #77
meistervu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG4 View Post
Oooh. Cool. Not sure Apple likes letting people choose on things like that though.
I used to work with a guy who showed me his old IBM compatible with a custom dial to set clock speed. He would turn it all the way up some where beyond 9 Mhz (8086 processor) until the system became unstable (crashed), and then back off on the dial a bit. There was the extreme of tinkering.

It seems to me that now a day, with cellular connection being so good, the switch over to cellular from Wifi should be a no brainer in most cases.

It's not so often that people spend their time at the fringe (Wifi border), so switching to cellular sooner probably would not impact data use that much. It's like having a low gas light in the car turning on when you have enough to travel 40 miles rather than 20 miles. It saves you a lot of grief while doesn't impact much on your daily routine. And it's a no brainer of a design decision that it doesn't make sense to involve user decision to set the low gas range warning light.

I am sure that same friend with the computer speed dial would like the option to change the low gas warning light to 10 mile, but I am glad that car manufacturers don't feel the same.

I don't have Wifi fringe problem with my iPhone, because I don't spend much time in that grey zone. But I empathize with those who do, and I think that the solution is pretty simple for Apple to implement. But that's just my speculation. I have no understanding of iOS from a system programmer perspective.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:48 PM   #78
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
I bought airport extreme to extend my time capsule network for just that reason, now i get wifi perfectly in my driveway but when i drive away it takes a few seconds to turn off but the way i look at it is if i am driving i shouldnt be searching the web anyway, but not having it in the driveway is understandable.
Bam.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:21 PM   #79
meistervu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
Yes, in this particular case. But there are times when you can't dictate where the Wifi fringe area is, and all you can do is move away from it. It doesn't make sense that one has to do that when there is perfectly good cellular signal right where Wifi signal is dodgy.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:40 PM   #80
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Bam.
Bam, what? Are you suggesting people drive through this gray area instead? It would transport you through this area faster than walking, so you wouldn't experience any ill effects.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6