Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saladiro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2007
New York
Hi, How does photo stream work exactly? so far i know:

1: if i take a pic in my camera roll, it automatically goes to photo stream on the iPhone then to my mac

2: if I delete a pic on my camera roll, does it (ir should it delete on photo stream)?

3. I have noticed in my photo stream, there are a few albums that it is picking up, BUT not all. WHy is this??

kindly help

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
1. Yes, unless you disable photo stream. There is an option in your Mac's iPhoto that disables automatic import of images from photostream.

2. No. It will remain in photostream until you delete it from photostream.

3. Not sure what you mean by this.

saladiro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2007
New York
Tks
Regarding point 3, I recently selected a folder in iPhoto on my Mac (bday party for eg) to sync with my phone. I now see that album "bday" in my photo stream. Why is this

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Tks
Regarding point 3, I recently selected a folder in iPhoto on my Mac (bday party for eg) to sync with my phone. I now see that album "bday" in my photo stream. Why is this

are you sure it didnt go to photostream when you placed them into iPhoto in the first place? by folder you mean an event?

if you are syncing events from iphoto to your iphone it shouldnt move them into photo stream. how are you syncing them? via iTunes?

if you are just copying (dragging) photos it will place them into your camera roll instead of the designated event and anything new that appears in camera roll (be it a new pic you took, an edited image from a third party app that you saved, etc.) will be taken into photo stream.

saladiro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2007
New York
are you sure it didnt go to photostream when you placed them into iPhoto in the first place? by folder you mean an event?

if you are syncing events from iphoto to your iphone it shouldnt move them into photo stream. how are you syncing them? via iTunes?

if you are just copying (dragging) photos it will place them into your camera roll instead of the designated event and anything new that appears in camera roll (be it a new pic you took, an edited image from a third party app that you saved, etc.) will be taken into photo stream.

-----------
when i fiirst imported then off my camera to my mac to to iphoto i created a new album. I didnt check at that point if the import went into photo stream. I was not aware that was supposed to happen or is it? That might explain my situation. I thought photo stream only picked up pics that i snapped on my phone

i am syncing via itunes and just select the folders that i like, in this case, i selected to sync the album i just downloaded off my camera

my process is that i import the photos then drag to the album i created eg "bday"

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
-----------
when i fiirst imported then off my camera to my mac to to iphoto i created a new album. I didnt check at that point if the import went into photo stream. I was not aware that was supposed to happen or is it? That might explain my situation. I thought photo stream only picked up pics that i snapped on my phone

i am syncing via itunes and just select the folders that i like, in this case, i selected to sync the album i just downloaded off my camera

my process is that i import the photos then drag to the album i created eg "bday"

ya, it was taken into photo stream by default the minute you imported them from your camera into iphoto.

you can disable this in your iphoto settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.