Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DuganRun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
Nottingham, England.
Hi Forum,

I'm new to the iphone and today my network lifted the restricted access on my phone so I tested it by visiting an adult content site, on opening the homepage which is as far as I got I read that by visiting I was agreeing to conditions and my details being passed to a third party so I immediately closed the page, after 2 minutes I was sent a message from the site I visited which contained a link, I didn't reply or click the link but what I'd like to know is how that site got my number?

I don't have autofill activated and I certainly didn't give my number, I'm just worried that I've now opened myself up to a world of spam.

Thanks.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Hi Forum,

I'm new to the iphone and today my network lifted the restricted access on my phone so I tested it by visiting an adult content site, on opening the homepage which is as far as I got I read that by visiting I was agreeing to conditions and my details being passed to a third party so I immediately closed the page, after 2 minutes I was sent a message from the site I visited which contained a link, I didn't reply or click the link but what I'd like to know is how that site got my number?

I don't have autofill activated and I certainly didn't give my number, I'm just worried that I've now opened myself up to a world of spam.

Thanks.

Now that's weird. I've never had one text my number. Sure I've gotten loads of junk mail but I have no idea if its because of places I've been or my email just got spread around like an STD.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
You may have actually got that message through a pop up on safari. Go into settings, safari, and make sure block pop ups is turned on. Then on same page, go into advanced, website data, edit and remove all website data.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
A pop up is able to obtain my phone number?

Did the message actually show up in messages, or did it pop up on screen or in notification bar at top? If it popped up on screen, or in notification bar, it likely was a safari popup.

DuganRun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
Nottingham, England.
I shouldn't think so...

What exactly did the message about passing your details on say?

It was more like small print that headed the webpage and it read like this: Upon visiting our site you agree to our terms and conditions and that your details be passed onto our third party, if you wish to opt out please text 'opt out' to 69***.

I realise this might have been bait for me to sms the 69*** number but I certainly didn't, I just can't get over how invasive and underhanded all this is, if something is in my message box does it necessarily mean it entered it via means of sms?

----------

Did the message actually show up in messages, or did it pop up on screen or in notification bar at top? If it popped up on screen, or in notification bar, it likely was a safari popup.

Actually in my messages after I'd closed safari

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I would make sure that the company doesn't start making arbitrary charges with your phone number. I can't tell you how many times people (myself included) have filled online surveys unknowingly giving their phone number away only to find out that you inadvertently subscribed to some random service and get billed crazy amounts for it later. The cancellation process is a nightmare -- so the sooner you find out about it, the better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.