Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maatae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Hi,

So I got an offer to trade my 2012 base mba 13 for a 15in 2011 mbp with the following specs:
-i7
-8gb ram
-120gb ssd /500gb hdd

is the trade worth it? what kind of performance gains will I see? In general I use the machine for browsing, but I do some light gaming on my mba right now (l4d2, etc.) but would love it if my gaming selection grew. what do you guys think?

Thanks

Last edited:

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
Why do you want the pro? Is this a 15" Pro? If it isn't, your game performance will be worse.

In terms of general use, the '11 pro shouldn't be faster than your current Air. Unless you want those i/o ports, additional ram (if you don't already have 8 GBs) and internal expandability, I don't really see the reason for this trade...

maatae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
sorry I completely forgot to mention that it is the 15in. So I wont see any noticeable graphics improvements at all?

----------

sorry I completely forgot to mention that it is the 15in. So I wont see any noticeable graphics improvements at all?
and i have the base 13 in so thats 4gb ram

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
If it's a 15" pro, you will receive noticeable improvement.

If you don't care about portability, and the machine is in good condition (hopefully it's covered under apple care too), then it's a great trade if you game.

If you're only doing "light" gaming, and you're not using applications that use the quad-cores in the 15", then you're not really gaining anything. This assumes that the other benefits of the cMBPs are irrelevant to you.

It's a simple matter of what you value in a laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.