Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
My interest is these devices is to get best sound quality.Should i go with 16g newest version of Ipod Nano or Ipod touch?

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Not sure that I can be of much help but I'm in the market to replace an old iPod Touch 2G - if the newest iPod Nano & Touch have the same or a similar sound chip, I would suspect that sound quality would depend on many other factors: 1) Quality of the MP3 and/or AAC files, i.e. their bit rates; 2) Quality of the headphones used; or 3) If output is to speakers, then their quality. :)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Do both have same audio sound chip since you have definitely found the touch superior?

I don't know what chips either use. However, because the Touch is designed for HD games, Netflix, and the like, it most definitely has the better option. Plus, you can actually plug in a pair of headphones without it looking absolutely ridiculous. My Sennheiser ones have a jack base that is like a centimeter thicker than the Nano itself. It's not a device for those that are really serious about their music.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
thanks,do you have the 4th or 5th generation Ipod Touch?Im a little put off that no 16g 5th generation Touch exists which is why I was looking at the Nano.Cant see spending that kind of money for 32 g 5th gen Touch.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
thanks,do you have the 4th or 5th generation Ipod Touch?Im a little put off that no 16g 5th generation Touch exists which is why I was looking at the Nano.Cant see spending that kind of money for 32 g 5th gen Touch.

My brother has the 4th. They'll probably introduce a 16GB 5G in a few months or cut the price.

Here are my headphones plugged in by the way. :eek:

IMG_20130527_123306.jpg

They weigh more than the Nano itself (and they're the cheap plastic ones with faux leather). Haha. The battery life is not all that great either. That's another thing I don't really like about it.

You'll enjoy the experience on the Touch better too. Better yet an iPod Classic might be the best option if you're only after to listen to music.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I suggest you go on head-fi.org/f/ and look in their portable devices section.
Naturally, everyone there will most likely tell you to buy an audiophile amp, but there should be people there ready to help you.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I don't see a sound difference in my iPhone vs my iPod Nano, If you a runner, the 7g nano is the perfect running device plus it can store more music then a ipod touch 4g. It is a great little music player. And you can normally find it on sale or refurbished for only $129.

Some people really complain that it is to small? Space wise you can make an argument since 16Gb is not all that much, but really? I don't get how it being smaller physical size wise, can possibly be a turn off for music folks.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Volume-matched, using decent iems, the same AAC files and without any equalisation, I was unable to tell any difference whatsoever between the Nano and my 5th gen, Touch.

So they sound the same - to me, at any rate.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Storage will be your main concern, and bitrate will be the biggest factor with sound quality. If you are dead serious about sound quality, you'd probably want to get the 160GB iPod Classic and rip your music from CD to a high bitrate format which will demand that high capacity storage.

And i'm sure it goes without saying, quality head phones will be the next biggest factor.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Buy both - that's what I did, and they sound the same anyway as I tested above.

I use the Nano outside and the Touch inside.

2012-11-13%252012.36.40.jpg

Last edited:

hogger129

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
My interest is these devices is to get best sound quality.Should i go with 16g newest version of Ipod Nano or Ipod touch?

If you're concerned with sound quality, get a 5.5G iPod Video that has the Wolfson DAC in it. Better yet, save up your benjamins and go buy an iMod from eBay that has that Wolfson DAC but has a bigger battery and a 240GB HDD in it. Run Rockbox and you have one heck of a music player.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
They are exactly the same but the new nano is better than the 4g touch...I believe the new 5s is the same as the new nano too if anyone is wondering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.