Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
Does anyone know how I can open a wps file on my mac. I think its a word perfect document, but not sure.

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Jason

12" Powerbook G4 867mhz; Mac OS X (10.3.x); 640mb RAM

Chris G

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2006
I also have a problem "WPS" file, but I know this is a Microsoft Works file. I have Microsoft Word X for Mac (as part of Office). I also have Apple Pages (part of Work).

Neither are able to open this.

Any help, please?

Is there a converter I can download?
Even if it cost a few bucks, it doesn't have to be a free app, but it absolutely has to work.

Thank you for any assistance.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
Chris G said:
I also have a problem "WPS" file, but I know this is a Microsoft Works file. I have Microsoft Word X for Mac (as part of Office). I also have Apple Pages (part of Work).

Neither are able to open this.

Any help, please?

Is there a converter I can download?
Even if it cost a few bucks, it doesn't have to be a free app, but it absolutely has to work.

Thank you for any assistance.

I think I opend it in appleworks in the end

If you still cant open it, private message me and i'll give you my e mail address. If the file isnt sensitive; I'll see if i can open it and e mail it back to you in a word dock or pdf for you.

I'm sure I opend it in appleworks though

Jason

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
j_maddison said:
Does anyone know how I can open a wps file on my mac. I think its a word perfect document, but not sure.

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Jason

12" Powerbook G4 867mhz; Mac OS X (10.3.x); 640mb RAM
The .wps is a Microsoft Works file. For whatever reason, it is a popular format in school/university computer labs. It is the bane of instructors who receive files in this format as assignment submissions. MacLinkPlus Deluxe handles to this format.

(Edited to correct error in file format.)

Chris G

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2006
Shazam. $80 to open one file. That sucks. It is a file of a sensative nature, in a corespondence with an individual I'm doing some business with. He keeps INSISTING that the file was created with Microsoft Works and that he saves it as a "Microsoft Word" file. I've gone round and round with him about it. This is the second time I've been through this with him. He's not the most computer savvy guy and I knew I'd have to go elsewhere to solve this problem. So you think I should spring for this app, eh? How perfectly does it convert the file?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Chris G said:
Shazam. $80 to open one file. That sucks. It is a file of a sensative nature, in a corespondence with an individual I'm doing some business with. He keeps INSISTING that the file was created with Microsoft Works and that he saves it as a "Microsoft Word" file. I've gone round and round with him about it. This is the second time I've been through this with him. He's not the most computer savvy guy and I knew I'd have to go elsewhere to solve this problem. So you think I should spring for this app, eh? How perfectly does it convert the file?
MacLink Plus Deluxe is a godsend to Mac users who receive non-Office documents from colleagues. Back in the day, Corel bundled MacLink Plus Deluxe with Corel WordPerfect. Claris/Apple bundled it with ClarisWorks/AppleWorks. If you expect to receive only one MS Word Works file in your life, then MacLink Plus Deluxe is not worth it. If, however, you exchange files with others on a regular basis, it can save your bacon. And you won't have to scold your colleagues for sending files in bizarre, antiquated formats.

Djjackie

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
Wps file

Hi all

Is the way for me to open a wps file on my ipad? I tried to open it in google drive but all I got was a blank page.

I hope someone can help me

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
I've had a look at about twenty word processor and office bundled on the App Store and I can't see any that list Wps files in the description. Do you have access to a desktop? Or is the iPad your primary device?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Hi all

Is the way for me to open a wps file on my ipad? I tried to open it in google drive but all I got was a blank page.

I hope someone can help me
Just to be clear, .wps is an ancient Microsoft Works format. Microsoft released the most recent version of Microsoft Works in 2008--2007, actually--more than five years ago. In 2000, twelve years ago and eight year before Microsoft abandoned Works, Works abandoned the .wps format in favor of the Word .doc format.

You will not find an iOS converter for this ancient format. There are, however, converters available on the Microsoft website. If you have access to a Windows computer, then you may convert .wps files before transferring them to your iOS device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.