Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:22 PM   #1
hoodedwarbler12
macrumors member

How Will iOS 7 Location Features Work on iPod touch?

Several of the new features of iOS 7 seem to be geared for iPhone users only. For instance, moments in the Photos app sorts photos by location, but when the iPod touch isn't near any networks, how will it know the location? In Today, how will it know which routes are traveled without GPS? And how will the new compass work? I wish the iPod touch had GPS
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:27 PM   #2
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedwarbler12 View Post
Several of the new features of iOS 7 seem to be geared for iPhone users only. For instance, moments in the Photos app sorts photos by location, but when the iPod touch isn't near any networks, how will it know the location? In Today, how will it know which routes are traveled without GPS? And how will the new compass work? I wish the iPod touch had GPS
The photo will not have a location tag on it then. It will use wifi to tell location.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:06 AM   #3
likethesoup2
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You want GPS? It's really simple -- get an iphone.
likethesoup2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Much the same way as iOS 6 does it. It uses the position of nearby Wi-Fi networks to determine location. Initially Apple used 'Skyhook Wireless'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyhook_Wireless

But now I believe Apple uses their own database of Wi-Fi networks.

I encountered this issue when using iOS 5 on iPod Touch 4G. I was taking photos out and about and they were all tagged with locations which confused me, so I googled it and found the above.
Jsameds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:43 AM   #5
hoodedwarbler12
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by likethesoup2 View Post
You want GPS? It's really simple -- get an iphone.
I'm sorry I'm 15 and in high school with two siblings in college and my parents won't pay $40+ a month not to mention the cost of the phone itself just for me to have GPS when I already have the iPod touch 5. I don't even have a cell phone of my own at all. Please don't assume everyone can afford it just because you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
Much the same way as iOS 6 does it. It uses the position of nearby Wi-Fi networks to determine location. Initially Apple used 'Skyhook Wireless'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyhook_Wireless

But now I believe Apple uses their own database of Wi-Fi networks.

I encountered this issue when using iOS 5 on iPod Touch 4G. I was taking photos out and about and they were all tagged with locations which confused me, so I googled it and found the above.
Oh okay, thanks for the information.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:07 PM   #6
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
.... I don't even have a cell phone of my own at all. Please don't assume everyone can afford it just because you can...

People here forget the MOST adults can't afford an iPhone. Yes many can. But simple cell phones can be dirt cheap. The prepaid phones have no contract you you only pay about 10 sets per minutes you use. Unless you are a teen age girl it would only cost less than $1 week to have a basic phone.

What the iPod does is look at the relative signal strengths of nearby WiFi. It does not need to connect to WiFi. It figures that if the signal is good you must be close so it looks at which are strong and which are weak signals. It can sometimes be very accurate and other time "off" by a few miles.
ChrisA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:40 PM   #7
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
People here forget the MOST adults can't afford an iPhone.
I'd like to know where you got that statistic from.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:21 PM   #8
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
They use WLAN (iOS 6.x.x and older) access points. They do not support GPS-devices via Bluetooth (NMEA 0183 or other protocols). And btw, even cheap Samsung media players have GPS:
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3...0CWY/XAA-specs

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch