Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
The Smart TVs these days have Skype built in so unless Apple does something about it, there could be trouble. So what chances do you think there are for Apple incorporating FaceTime on Apple TV? Maybe using an iPad as a complementary input device for voice and camera.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
The Smart TVs these days have Skype built in so unless Apple does something about it, there could be trouble. So what chances do you think there are for Apple incorporating FaceTime on Apple TV? Maybe using an iPad as a complementary input device for voice and camera.

Considering Apple TV is based on iOS, you would think they could have Skype. Skype would be convenient but where do you plug the webcam?

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Zero chance. Considering that Apple still considers Apple TV a "hobby," and the last updates were under the hood spec bumps that weren't given much hype as their other products, also the fact that Apple has been super slow in updating any of their products... At the latest I expect such an update to Apple TV by 2021.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
I didn't try, but can't you start FaceTime/Skype on your iPhone or iPad, use airplay mirroring and place you iPhone/ipad somewhere close to your TV and voila, Skype/FaceTime on the big screen! :)

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
I didn't try, but can't you start FaceTime/Skype on your iPhone or iPad, use airplay mirroring and place you iPhone/ipad somewhere close to your TV and voila, Skype/FaceTime on the big screen! :)

Yeah or you could set the iPad with the Smart Cover in front of you so that theres no problem in picking up your voice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.