Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Wouldn't it be nice if you could enter a password to enable or disable location services? That way, if it were stolen, someone couldn't just disable it and be worry-free then and there? Would be a nice feature for Apple to add to iOS....

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Similar, I guess. But someone could "snatch" it when it's unlocked but has location services enabled.

If I stole your phone, I would

-Take out your SIM card and discard it in the nearest dustbin

-Turn off your phone

-Go home and restore the phone in iTunes

-Unlock the phone if it isn't

-Start using the phone with my own SIM card

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
What's the chance of your phone being stolen when its unlocked? Usually people don't leave their phones unattended, and if they do, they lock iOS first.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
It's called "Restrictions". It's already part of iOS. The problem is that it doesn't ask you for your password when an app wants to use the location services but rather avoids changing any settings, so new apps cannot use the location services.

I have Restrictions enabled so that Find My iPhone cannot be disabled. The thief can always turn the iPhone off or remove the SIM card, but iPhone thieves are usually the kind of people you'd want to shoot for being so stupid, so they might not do that. In fact, NOT having a passcode lock may help because the thief would not consider wiping the phone to gain access if access is already granted.

Think about it; if you steal an iPhone that you can't get into, you're going to Google "how to break passcode on iPhone" and restore it. If you steal an iPhone that you can use that is secretly being tracked, you might just leave it as it is.

Last edited:

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
What's the chance of your phone being stolen when its unlocked? Usually people don't leave their phones unattended, and if they do, they lock iOS first.

Precisely what I first thought when I saw his second post. Normally people leave their phone LOCKED (typo) after they use it.

Last edited:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
If I stole your phone, I would

-Take out your SIM card and discard it in the nearest dustbin

-Turn off your phone

-Go home and restore the phone in iTunes

-Unlock the phone if it isn't

-Start using the phone with my own SIM card

Yes, but thieves aren't you (I hope).

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Precisely what I first thought when I saw his second post. Normally people leave their phone unlock after they use it.

Guess I'm one of the few that relocks their phone when I'm around certain people, even after a text.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted

I thought I read somewhere not to long ago that Apple & the carriers were creaking down on cellphone thiefs by locking out the IMEI number. Anyone else heard this? If true, just report it stolen and the thief will not be able to use it.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Wirelessly posted

I thought I read somewhere not to long ago that Apple & the carriers were creaking down on cellphone thiefs by locking out the IMEI number. Anyone else heard this? If true, just report it stolen and the thief will not be able to use it.

That's the only real fix. Can't see the carriers doing it on their own accord as their business is the phone plan, not the phone. Every stolen phone is just another unsubsidized new customer ;)

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Wirelessly posted

Funny thing around here our carriers promise every couple of years to start cracking down on Mobile phone theft by locking stolen phones. It's like there is a standard press release that gets handed out as soon as the media asks about rising mobile phone theft.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Wouldn't it be nice if you could enter a password to enable or disable location services? That way, if it were stolen, someone couldn't just disable it and be worry-free then and there? Would be a nice feature for Apple to add to iOS....

How about they just make it so you can't turn off the phone from the lock screen?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
How about they just make it so you can't turn off the phone from the lock screen?

That would also involve getting rid of the force-shutdown feature, which would be bad. Before I knew about forcing shutdown on an iPhone, my iPhone 1 crashed, and I had to wait for the battery to die to make it turn off.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I doubt most people lock their phones - most people I know don't.

Most stolen phones are probably used for a couple of hours and thrown away or sold again I think. I'll bet very few thiefs search stolen phones for important information - maybe for nude pictures they can share.
Thiefs are rarely as technically competent or smart as TV/Movies make them out to be.

Other than the cost of replacing the phone and the inconvienience I'm not sure I really care. Anyone who keeps really critical on a device like an iPhone is looking for trouble. Phones are probably the most lost devices in the world.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Mine's locked constantly...I just hot the on/off button and automatically locked. And auto shuts off after 5 minutes if I forget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.