Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WigWag Workshop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Good Day Folks!

I have a directory of sound effects, on an external drive. How do I add that directory to the Music and Sound browser within Final Cut? Do I have to move it to my main drive, where Final Cut is installed? If more information is needed, please ask.

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Good Day Folks!

I have a directory of sound effects, on an external drive. How do I add that directory to the Music and Sound browser within Final Cut? Do I have to move it to my main drive, where Final Cut is installed? If more information is needed, please ask.

Thanks in advance,

Steven

FCP X doesn't really have a sound browser, just a shortcut to your iTunes library. The best way to do it is to create a playlist in iTunes and add all of the sounds to that playlist (add to library first on your main drive), then you can access from the "sound browser".

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Or, if you didn't want to involve iTunes you could make a new Event and import all the audio to that and just sort of treat the clips as if they were video with no picture.

So it depends on what you value more: Having them live in the sound browser or not clogging up iTunes with these files.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Or, if you didn't want to involve iTunes you could make a new Event and import all the audio to that and just sort of treat the clips as if they were video with no picture.

So it depends on what you value more: Having them live in the sound browser or not clogging up iTunes with these files.
In some facilities this is the norm.
I just started using our old library in FCPX as an Event.
I wish FCPX could read Avid MXF folders, this way we can share from both apps.

loungecorps

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2010
Its very simple. Just drag the folder from the finder to the audio library in fcpx. I have all my old soundtrack pro loops & bbc in their

Jimmyjrj

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
First, create a folder with the sounds effects you want to copy in the finder.

This is so you can keep you sounds separate from the default library that Final Cut comes with.

Next, navigate to Macintosh HD>Library>Audio>Apple Loops>Apple

You should see a Folder labelled Final Cut Pro Sound Effects.

Copy your folder in to the Final Cut Pro Sound Effects folder and now you will see your sound effects in the final cut library, for easy, searchable, and real time previewing within the application.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.