Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
I already installed 10.8 using the standard procedure (download from mac app store). aka NOT a fresh install.

How do I reinstall 10.8 as a fresh install? Create a bootable USB drive? Or can I use the partition it created the first time?

Thanks!:confused:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I already installed 10.8 using the standard procedure (download from mac app store). aka NOT a fresh install.

How do I reinstall 10.8 as a fresh install? Create a bootable USB drive? Or can I use the partition it created the first time?

Thanks!:confused:

it will be in your purchased tab in the Mac app store download again but this times once its downloaded to run it just quit it if it auto opens.

than use this small app and a 8GB usb stick to make a bootable copy of ML

now once the usb is done, plug it in and restart your mac holding the option key when you hear the chime you will see the usb to boot from, now you can use disk utility to do a clean install

Hello All,I would also like to know about the clean install? Do you need to use a USB or what? I already have a USB with ML already on it, so could I use it on my iMac and hold the option key after I hear the chimes? I would like to know so I can try it too. If you know, Please let me know...Thank You.:apple:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Step By Step

You will need a USB stick of OVER 4GB ( I used an 8 GB stick for my copy)

Download ML from your purchased tab but cancel the installation when prompted.

Download:
http://www.cultofmac.com/180518/sin...on-diskmaker-gets-os-x-mountain-lion-support/

Insert the USB stick and start the creator application.

When complete (it takes a while with USB 2) You can eject the USB stick and you now have a bootable image,

Start your MAc whilst holding down the "Option" key

If you wish to, you can erase the drive to start afresh, or perform an (EFI) over the top installation of ML

Over the top will retain all your Apps, a clean install will require you to download and re-install them from the App store. If you have third party apps, make a note of them prior to the Installation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.