Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
So far, so good. Got the server set up and my iTunes content migrated. Tested playback - IT WORKS! My MacBook Pro streams the music files hosted on my iMac with no lag.

The question I have is this: I obviously do not want to open this media server to the Internet at large. I DO, however, wish to make it available to other people in my household. Any advice on doing this?

Here's what I've done so far:
  • The administrator has a separate account from each of the "media bin" accounts
  • The server will also run a Terminal script in yet another account, configured to auto-login and start that script at login
  • System Preferences is locked down, so that the admin password is required for most tasks
  • Apple Remote is disabled
  • Network connection is via Ethernet

Shane1905

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
UK
Take a look at Plex, I use it for my setup at home and it works a treat, my iMac is my server and can stream all my content to iOS, android, Apple TV, roku and other computers either on my LAN or over the net.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I have an older iMac that I use as a "media server". With airplay, etc., I have not changed any settings, users, etc. It works great. Caveat: all of our devices are Apples.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.