Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:26 AM   #1
malch
macrumors 6502

Advice needed rebooting up new PCI-Express SSD

Hi there,
Would people mind advising re my best strategy for starting fresh after I install my new Accelsior SSD (via PCI-e slot)?

Since this new SSD is going in a PCI-e slot, I don't have to take out the internal SATA drive that's been my boot drive until now... correct? I can just leave it in place, it seems to me.

So then how do I best go about installing Mountain Lion on the new SSD, and making it my boot drive? It would seem to me that I have to:

1. boot up my old drive (that has Snow Leopard on it), as usual, and then
2. use Disk Utility to initialize the new SSD drive
3. install Mountain Lion on the new SSD
4. restart and holding down the 'C' key (or another one; I can check on this), choose to boot up from the new SSD drive; in System preferences, I can then probably make this new SSD my regular boot drive.
5. At that point, my old main hard drive is just another drive... I can copy key apps from it to my new SSD drive... and away I go.

Does this all make sense?
Thanks for any advice...
malch
malch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:09 AM   #2
albert1028
macrumors 6502

That works. But if you have a usb flash drive with mountain lion, you can just boot into the usb and just use disk utility built into the installer to initialize/format/partition it and just install as is.

Hope this helps.
albert1028 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:37 PM   #3
mokeiko
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert1028 View Post
That works. But if you have a usb flash drive with mountain lion, you can just boot into the usb and just use disk utility built into the installer to initialize/format/partition it and just install as is.

Hope this helps.
+1

I use this method and find it the easiest way.

mokeiko
mokeiko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:07 PM   #4
malch
macrumors 6502

thank you both... I'm doing it now (and saving a copy of Mountain Lion on a USB flash drive).
regards,
malch
malch is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro