Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsharrah

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
I understand this question comes up time and time again, and I have read through the older threads but am not sure they answer my question.

I an converting from a pc and I have been using Quicken Home and Business. I need a program that will allow me to do what I was doing with Quicken.

What I need:
1. Ability to track multiple checking and savings accounts. Basically, just a computer based checkbook register that allows me to transfer funds between account registers (I will actually transfer funds through my bank's site - this is just for tracking purposes).
2. Ability to enter and track all monthly bills and deposits, reminding me about upcoming bills and deposits.

What I do not need:
1. I do not need to track investments, stocks, 401k's.
2. I do not need the software to pay my bills. I will do this myself through the billing companies respective website or I will be writing checks.
3. I do not need to print checks.
4. I do not need to generate reports or keep track of tax information.

I am throwing all this out here because I have been reading the reviews for products like Quicken Essentials and iBank and the majority of the negative feedback seems to be focused on things I would never use either for (investments, printing checks, and paying bills through the program).

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Last edited:

wickedpapercut

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2005
I still miss the ease-of-use of Quicken on the PC but couldn't continue to justify the overhead of running Windows on my Mac just for Quicken. I switched to iBank about six months ago and have gotten accustomed to it's interface. It does everything that I need it to do, which sounds very similar to your list of requirements.

Just a note - I tried importing all of my data from Quicken when I first started using iBank. It worked but was messy and would have taken a long time to get all of the accounts straight, partly due to some less-than-great choices I made in Quicken. So, I opted to take an export of Quicken to keep as an archive if I ever needed it and started over with all new accounts in iBank. After getting all of the balances straight over the first month or two, everything has been smooth sailing since.

FoxFifth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I also like iBank. I converted my data from Quicken with no issues. The first couple of months were a bit painful but now I seem to have adapted.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I use Moneydance. I picked Moneydance over iBank (and others) because the import from Quicken was the most problem-free. I think most programs like these would do what you need, so go with the one that imports your data the best.

bsharrah

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Thanks everyone. Going to download the free trial for iBank this weekend and see how it goes. Based on their website and the comments here it might be just what I need. Does anyone use the iPhone app, and if so, how well does it sync with your mac? That is a cool feature that could come in handy if it works as described.

Nam Pla

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Thailand
My needs for finance software is very much like the OP's. Basic banking stuff, no need for tracking investments, etc.

I too was a long time Quicken user on the PC. When I switched to Mac I naturally bought Quicken for Mac. What a disappointment that was! I hated it and waited and waited hoping to find something better.

When I recently purchased a new Macbook, I decided to give up on Quicken for Mac. I also went with iBank, and I was disappointed mostly in that it was just not as intuitive to use as Quicken (for PC anyway) was. iBank seems at times unnecessarily tedious to do what used to be simple things to do with Quicken.

But I eventually got used to it and it fits my bill for the most part. And the initial change-over importing of my Quicken files (many years worth) went smoothly. (Whew!)

bsharrah

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Ok, so I downloaded the trial version of iBank 4 and exported my data from Quicken. Problem I have at this moment is my checking account information transferred perfectly but it does not appear that any other accounts transferred.

Also, what I really liked about quicken was the ability to have bill reminders. None of these transferred over and I am not seeing where in iBank I can set these up manually. Wondering if the bill reminders would transfer over to quicken essentials for Mac. I really don't want to set all of these up again, even if I knew how.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ok, so I downloaded the trial version of iBank 4 and exported my data from Quicken. Problem I have at this moment is my checking account information transferred perfectly but it does not appear that any other accounts transferred.

Also, what I really liked about quicken was the ability to have bill reminders. None of these transferred over and I am not seeing where in iBank I can set these up manually. Wondering if the bill reminders would transfer over to quicken essentials for Mac. I really don't want to set all of these up again, even if I knew how.

I think what you are after is under scheduled transactions in iBank. Once in that section just click the plus at the bottom left and a window with several scheduling options comes up.

iafE7.png

Nam Pla

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Thailand
Thanks. This is going to take some getting use to.

There is a definite "take some getting use to" factor with iBank. Quicken for Windows it ain't, but thankfully it's better than Quicken for Mac. (Not saying much I know.)

I had a really hard time with the reconcile part of iBank at first. Seemed really tedious compared to Quicken. Now that I'm used to it it's okay. iBank isn't great IMO but not so bad. You really need to read the manual and understand the differences. Trying to do things in iBank like you were used to doing them with Q will frustrate you.

Good luck...

bsharrah

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
I have read most of the threads about Quicken Essentials and although I see it is not very popular, most of the complaints are over the lack of capabilities I would not use anyway (investments, reports, importing data from their banks).

For just a basic checkbook registry and bill reminder, can anyone tell me how QE functions? I am considering at least trying it before I pay full price for iBank. Quicken has been really good about issuing refunds if you do not like the product.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I have read most of the threads about Quicken Essentials and although I see it is not very popular, most of the complaints are over the lack of capabilities I would not use anyway (investments, reports, importing data from their banks).

For just a basic checkbook registry and bill reminder, can anyone tell me how QE functions? I am considering at least trying it before I pay full price for iBank. Quicken has been really good about issuing refunds if you do not like the product.
I am a basic Quicken user. Don't need anything fancy like investment tracking. I tried QE and if I remember correctly, you cannot set up loans in it. That was the killer for me. Quicken did give me a refund though.

bsharrah

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
I notice QE was 49.99 in the App Store and the same price when I looked at the Intuit site on my desktop, but for whatever reason, when I viewed Intuit's site on my iPad, the price was marked 15.00 off, stating limited time only. I have no idea how the same site can be different on the two devices but it was, and at 34.95, I figured I would try QE.

Downloaded it this morning and importing all my data was very easy. Seems to be working well for my needs so I will be uninstalling iBank. I guess I am a basic basic user because I only have a checking account and savings account. My loans are entered as bills so I don't need to set up loan accounts, though looking at the Intuit site suggests I could.

I will agree that anyone who used Quicken for anything other than an electronic check register and bill reminder, would be highly disappointed with QE, but it works for me.

I appreciate everyone's input.

genedelisa

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
Haddonfield
Mint

I'm also disappointed in QE. I've been using Mint. You cannot transfer funds from Mint, but you can see all of your transactions. It does bank accounts, things like Fidelity and Vanguard, and credit card accounts.

They have iPhone and iPad apps.

I hate that you cannot delete some stock categories e.g. student loan.

FWIW I've used Quackbooks on a PC since 1998. I hate it. Counterintuitive doesn't even begin to describe it.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
I'm also disappointed in QE. I've been using Mint. You cannot transfer funds from Mint, but you can see all of your transactions. It does bank accounts, things like Fidelity and Vanguard, and credit card accounts.

FWIW I've used Quackbooks on a PC since 1998. I hate it. Counterintuitive doesn't even begin to describe it.

I also use mint. If you transfer the funds on the bank site as the op is, you don't need to in mint anyways. Mint updates from your bank and other account sites so it will show the transfer automatically as soon as it shows up on the bank site.

Mint does everything the OP is looking for at no cost.

Nam Pla

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Thailand

I may be mistaken, but isn't Mint put out by the people that make Quicken?

Ironic innit... :(

wrosie

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
California
I, too, use Quicken Home & Business. When I get my new Imac 27" (which I expect will work beautifully despite all the doom and gloom in other threads), I'm going to use iBank. It's the only thing I could find that does what I need without confusing me beyond belief. I'm also going to use iBiz since I'm an independent contractor and need to generate invoices and keep track of income.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.