Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Hey there, I want to edit some clips and create movies without any loss in qualitiy, both audio and image. Im not concerned about Hard Drive space, I want 100% perfection. I am not a newbie, so give me the best technical explanation Questions:

1)When improting video, should i simply choose "copy" or should I choose to "optmize" the videos?

Im exporting using quitcktime, and in settings:

2)When exporting, should I uncheck "Prepare for internet streaming"? What does it do? Im guess Im losing CPU cycles here.

3)Sound Rate, should I set AAC, Apple losless, Linnear PCM....someone please explain each in detail

4)Compression time, I can set to H.264, Apple Intermediate Codec and even "None" what is each?

5)What is "Frame Reordering"

iFergal

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2010
iMovie help

What bitrate, dimensions, format are your original files?

What camera were you using?

What is your target end format? DVD? BluRay? uTube?

I've been using iMovie professionally for making wedding videos with my end target as DVD and having experimented with all sorts of formats & settings in the "Export using Quicktime" option, I found the pre-set "Export Movie" option (with HD1080, HD720, Large, Medium & Small settings) to be the best quality & quickest options. I use the "Large" option for eventual use on DVD.

The "copy" option has nothing to do with import quality, it simply makes an exact copy of your original files in the iMovie Events folder & leaves the original in place. The "move" option does the same but removes the original file after import (thus you simply have one identical copy & no duplicate taking up space needlessly).

Use of the "optimize" option depends on your original files & end target.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Since I posted this, I've been reading stuff on the web. Looks like I need a losless codec in order to create the media I want. Are they available for iMovie, or will I need a professional movie editor software? I bet Hollywood has something that is losless.

Mostly, I am editing 1080P MP4 movies downloaded from youtube, some wich are 720P MP4

I dont use the "export movie..." cause its limited to 720P and I am editing 1080P. The "export using quicktime" gives me best quality, but I do notice some reduction in quality, specially color accuracy. I am exporting in the lossy H264 for video, AAC for sound.

I want a lossless movie editor. Pretend I am JJ Abrams and Im gonna edit Star Wars 7 in my bedroom. Wich software do I use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.