Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Why would the Touch go to 128G before the iPhone?

It hasn't been suggested it would, not in this thread anyway. It's more likely, IMHO, the iPhone would get the upgrade only or both do. It's all just speculation anyway. This is an iPod touch thread so we're just hoping and dreaming.

QE2

macrumors member
May 25, 2013

Actually, that's the way it's been in the past; so as to avoid cannibalising the market for their dedicated media device (iPod), they've held the iPhone back a step or step two in the storage stakes.

Sleix

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2003
Sacramento, CA
Actually, that's the way it's been in the past; so as to avoid cannibalising the market for their dedicated media device (iPod), they've held the iPhone back a step or step two in the storage stakes.

I believe this is the reason why I have yet to get an iPhone. 64GB isn't enough and I dislike what little bandwidth the wireless providers seem to be giving, so I will NOT do any audio streaming. To me, the iPod lineup is a device of the past, something relegated to those who don't want to give it up or don't care for a phone. I just know that I want one device these days (rather than two,) and I know that if I don't have my whole collection of music (all 96GB of it at the moment) with me that I'll end up reaching for a song that isn't there this time around and be frustrated in the long run.

While I understand you will say "Well, you can get an ipad or ipad mini", I just don't care to cart around something that large all the time (and again, the two devices thing!) and I'd rather like my music collection to fit in a pocket again. It's because of this that I'm looking towards the Samsung Galaxy S5 with a 128GB SDXC card as my next phone/media purchase. Not because I want to, but there's just no choice yet on the apple side.

If Apple announces an iPhone 5S or a 6 with 128GB capacity, I will definitely reconsider, but until then...

Steven

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
It hasn't been suggested it would, not in this thread anyway. It's more likely, IMHO, the iPhone would get the upgrade only or both do. It's all just speculation anyway. This is an iPod touch thread so we're just hoping and dreaming.

Well, IMO, whatever they do, they need to bring back the ambient light sensor!

An app that allowed for changing the backlight to a lower or upper setting automatically would be great too and would save time having to pop into the settings app, although it would probably break Apple's rules somehow... I feel like dropping the camera on the Nano was no NBD, but dropping the light sensor on the Touch was a step too far... Although I love the larger screen.

Apple created the iPod, and they can kill it I guess. There will still be a market for the right one(s).

----------

Why do you need iOS so badly?

Good question. The iPod classic doesn't have the iOS in-your-face, and it works quite well.

If I worked at Apple and had a say in what survives of the iPod line, I'd give the Classic flash memory, and keep the Nano. Maybe give it a clip on the back, and stuff the rest of them. You have two products: One small for sports/etc, and one for music hoarders and travelers that don't want to burn through their iPhone batteries on long flights/drives.

Make the flash based Classic 256G, and the Nano 16G. The Touch is so much like the iPhone, it should BE the iPhone... (But I do like my Touch (with a light sensor))

EDIT: Although a case could be made for a 256G Touch, because it would be multifunction, and killing the Classic...

pagemaster

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2013
One small for sports/etc, and one for music hoarders and travelers that don't want to burn through their iPhone batteries on long flights/drives.

Music and podcast use so little of a batteries life on iPhone or iPod Touch.

Why do you need iOS so badly?

IOS is great for the iPod Touch, downloading podcast, the podcast interface on the lock screen, being able to download directly from the website of a podcast creator. There are a lot of reasons why I want an iPod Touch but I have no interest in having a phone. Another great thing about the Touch is that is has a speaker as well.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Well, IMO, whatever they do, they need to bring back the ambient light sensor!

An app that allowed for changing the backlight to a lower or upper setting automatically would be great too and would save time having to pop into the settings app, although it would probably break Apple's rules somehow... I feel like dropping the camera on the Nano was no NBD, but dropping the light sensor on the Touch was a step too far... Although I love the larger screen.

Apple created the iPod, and they can kill it I guess. There will still be a market for the right one(s).

----------

Good question. The iPod classic doesn't have the iOS in-your-face, and it works quite well.

If I worked at Apple and had a say in what survives of the iPod line, I'd give the Classic flash memory, and keep the Nano. Maybe give it a clip on the back, and stuff the rest of them. You have two products: One small for sports/etc, and one for music hoarders and travelers that don't want to burn through their iPhone batteries on long flights/drives.

Make the flash based Classic 256G, and the Nano 16G. The Touch is so much like the iPhone, it should BE the iPhone... (But I do like my Touch (with a light sensor))

EDIT: Although a case could be made for a 256G Touch, because it would be multifunction, and killing the Classic...

So you would kill the iPod touch? Just the classic and nano? I think it's more likely the classic gets dropped and the iPod touch gets a big boost. 256gb though? Whoa! I'd be thrilled to see 128gb. It's like I'm hoping for a trip to Hawaii and you're hoping to take pictures of Earth from the moon;) Well, nothing wrong with dreaming. I think the real obstacle is Apple deciding whether its something they want to bother with. I'm imagining the iPod team sitting by themselves at lunch getting ignored because everybody else is "working on something important.":D

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
So you would kill the iPod touch? Just the classic and nano? I think it's more likely the classic gets dropped and the iPod touch gets a big boost. 256gb though? Whoa! I'd be thrilled to see 128gb. It's like I'm hoping for a trip to Hawaii and you're hoping to take pictures of Earth from the moon;) Well, nothing wrong with dreaming. I think the real obstacle is Apple deciding whether its something they want to bother with. I'm imagining the iPod team sitting by themselves at lunch getting ignored because everybody else is "working on something important.":D

I'd love to see a 128GB iPod Touch. I even wrote an email to Tim Cook last week on that.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Might I suggest that an iPod Classic + iPod touch might be a better combination for you? Put all your music on the Classic and put some subset on the touch.

That is my current set up at the moment (because I am one of those with a rather large music collection that I wish to have on one device; the iPod Touch has a different library to the classic).

However, I am one of those who most certainly would be in the market for a 128 GB SSD iPod Touch should such a device ever be produced; I actually have an iPad and hardly ever use it - my MBA instead does all the heavy - and light - lifting and is every bit as portable.

$M.H$

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2014
it will be very expensive thought ,, any way the 64 GB is very good for an iPod :)
I hope Apple make a {128 GB} iPhone like the iPad Air ,, and iPhone starts with
32GB @ 199$
:)
That will be awesome :D

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
it will be very expensive though ,, any way the 64 GB is very good for an iPod :)
I hope Apple make a {128 GB} iPhone like the iPad Air ...

After close to a year with an iPad doing 128GB, there is a good chance Apple will up top end Pods and Phones to 128GB as well. However, they might not.

Apple could use the 128GB iPod to finally shut down the classic. They could also offer it at 128GB without the iPhone at that size to encourage phone buyers to invest in a separate mp3 player.

We will have to wait and see how upgrade their line this year.

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Because it doesn't need all that space for the cellular radio and such, which means more space for memory chips... though I would think they would release the 128GB iPhone at the same time as the 128GB iPod touch.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Same here. I would want to store all of my TV seasons with a larger capacity iPod Touch.

I don't find a need to store a lot of shows on my Touch. I have my media on a Plex server so I can watch it on my Touch via wifi. If I'm not going to be on wifi when I want to watch it, I just Plex sync it to my Touch and watch it offline (You don't have to be at your computer to sync it. You can remotely sync it through any wifi connection).

linkboy

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
The minute Apple releases a 128GB iPod Touch, I'll buy one. Until then, I'm sticking with my Classic.

I'm not willing to compromise on storage space down to 64GB from 160GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.