Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
My mom has had an iPad 2 since it's launched and it works great for her.
There's no reason you'll have to upgrade your iPad for at least 4 years after getting it, unless you need to use a certain app that needs a new iOS version, or want to play the latest and greatest games.
So for web browsing, email, social networking, etc, the iPad should last you a while.

S

syd430

The Curiosity Rover, which landed on Mars in 2012 uses the RAD750 CPU - a processor that became available in 2001 and has a clock speed of just 110-200 Mhz.

The urge to continuously upgrade electronics every year that are perfectly fit for purpose is a human characteristic flaw perpetuated by a powerful marketing machine, rather than one based on rationality.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
The Curiosity Rover, which landed on Mars in 2012 uses the RAD750 CPU - a processor that became available in 2001 and has a clock speed of just 110-200 Mhz.

The urge to continuously upgrade electronics every year that are perfectly fit for purpose is a human characteristic flaw perpetuated by a powerful marketing machine, rather than one based on rationality.

The chip on the Curiosity Rover is in no way allegorical to consumer electronics. How much computational power is really required for a device that has one purpose, or at most a few? In addition, CPUs have became exponentially powerful since that time, though arguably slowing down the exponential growth around 2009. Yes - Moore's law is becoming irrelevant now but its been a good ride. A computer built in 2013 such as the MBP Retina is in NO way comparable to a computer from 2001.

Are you saying its irrational to upgrade from an iPad 1 to an iPad 3 because Retina really makes null difference in the long run? I guess this is more opinion here, and one could also argue that it was part of Apple's master plan to plan every iPad's successor for a good five years early on, but I digress. I suppose one doesn't need a Retina screen, but it makes a big difference on usability for most people.

S

syd430

Are you saying its irrational to upgrade from an iPad 1 to an iPad 3 because Retina really makes null difference in the long run?

Of course not. It really depends on the individual, their income, their preferences. I suspect though that it wouldn't be atypical for people to exaggerate the benefit relative to cost. I can't talk about anyone at an individual level.

I suppose one doesn't need a Retina screen, but it makes a big difference on usability for most people.

Indeed the retina display does make a big difference. I even appreciated the jump from the iPad 3 to 4. I bought it during launch week . The cost of which however was negligible for me.

The point of my post was not to say that that it always irrational to upgrade to the last tech. Not even close. The point was that it is not a set-in-stone rule that all technology somehow automatically becomes obsolete within a few years. For the vast majority of people it will, but for some it won't. The way people talk about these things in absolutes on boards like this however, it's as if an iPad has an expiration date like a carton of milk.

Last edited by a moderator:

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
It depends on your usage but it could... defiantly ...last 2 or 3 years or more.

Against all the odds I'm sure it will put up a strong fight to last 2 or 3 years!

But barring mishaps and misfortune it should DEFINITELY last at least 2 years. My 1G is now over 3 years old and my 2G is now over two years old.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Think about it this way,Netherlands Mini, which has two and a half year old specs, handles everything well enough. The iPad 4 should last four years before it feels taxed.

rMBP2013

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Sydney
The original iPad and the iPad 2 with 256 & 512 MB (respective) memory may not last as long as the newer iPads with 1 GB or more.

The limiting factor is of course the iOS. Don't upgrade and limit your access to new apps but retain your speed, or upgrade the software but lose your speed.

Seems like more iPads' batteries are still going strong.

I am curious to see how long my iPad mini 2 will last, which I just got in Nov '14.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Mine are all doing well, from the three year old iPad, two year old mini and iPad 4. No sign of problems whatsoever. Overall Apple builds good products.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
Mine are all doing well, from the three year old iPad, two year old mini and iPad 4. No sign of problems whatsoever. Overall Apple builds good products.

At least going by my experience with a 7 year old ipod touch 1st gen i can attest to that. It has been been used daily nearly everywhere, it has been dropped plenty of times, got wet, etc. Still working, no scratches on the screen, only on the back. The battery surprisingly still lasts a decent amount of time.

The main problem with these old devices is the software/apps that stop working for no reason. Like the skype app i was using until a few months ago, suddenly stopped working. I mean, i know the device was unsupported a long time ago but why i cant use it anymore if i dont intend to upgrade.
These things will make the device almost completely useless even if is still working properly. Which almosts defeats the point of having a physically robust product that can last for ages.

Time will tell with my mini 2.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
At least going by my experience with a 7 year old ipod touch 1st gen i can attest to that. It has been been used daily nearly everywhere, it has been dropped plenty of times, got wet, etc. Still working, no scratches on the screen, only on the back. The battery surprisingly still lasts a decent amount of time.

The main problem with these old devices is the software/apps that stop working for no reason. Like the skype app i was using until a few months ago, suddenly stopped working. I mean, i know the device was unsupported a long time ago but why i cant use it anymore if i dont intend to upgrade.
These things will make the device almost completely useless even if is still working properly. Which almosts defeats the point of having a physically robust product that can last for ages.

Time will tell with my mini 2.
Behind the scenes Apple has a well planned cycle of obsolescence. It assures maximum sales and profits. It's not in their interest for us to be long term users. They've got a brilliant plan to be sure they win big. No other Maker of competing products makes the huge gross profits like Apple. Not even close.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
Behind the scenes Apple has a well planned cycle of obsolescence. It assures maximum sales and profits. It's not in their interest for us to be long term users. They've got a brilliant plan to be sure they win big. No other Maker of competing products makes the huge gross profits like Apple. Not even close.

I guess that cycle is around 6 - 7 years or so. Although i have read some Ipad 1 owners complaining about apps not working anymore etc. But i think the ones that stay that long are a minority and most of them:

1) Arent that interested in upgrading even if the device breaks down

2) Cant afford to upgrade anyway

Making a product obsolete by not receiving upgrades, getting slower etc is one thing, but making the apps stop working is far too ruthless.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
As others have mentioned, it depends on what you are willing to live without. We still have an original iPad in the kitchen, but we mainly just use it for watching security cameras when we expect company and the clock or aquarium app. I used to use it for music, but I have an AirPlay speaker in the kitchen now, so I usually just AirPlay from my iPhone. My girlfriend still uses it on occasion for shopping, but it is slow compared to newer iPads.

The Air 2 has 2gb of RAM, so I bet we will see Apple do something with it at some point which will mean older iPads will run slow with new features or not get the new features/apps that take advantage of it. My worry with an older device would be that Apple adds the ability to have two apps up at once, but it will only work on 2gb iPads.

plusnq

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
As others have said it is the growing feature set that you miss out on. We have an iPad 1,2, and 3 in daily use plus an Air and mini retina. Three years at least for the upgrade. Even Macs are suffering the same issues. Longer replacement cycles as there is a minimum of software that really pushes the hardware.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
The original iPad and the iPad 2 with 256 & 512 MB (respective) memory may not last as long as the newer iPads with 1 GB or more.

The limiting factor is of course the iOS. Don't upgrade and limit your access to new apps but retain your speed, or upgrade the software but lose your speed.

Seems like more iPads' batteries are still going strong.

I am curious to see how long my iPad mini 2 will last, which I just got in Nov '14.

It will last years and years.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
if i buy the new ipad5 or the ipad4 how long will it last compared to a laptop. will an ipad last 2 or 3 years

If you buy the last model, iPad air 2, it will last a couple of years for sure.
Three years it depends on your usage and future developments.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
If you buy the last model, iPad air 2, it will last a couple of years for sure.

Three years it depends on your usage and future developments.

Really though, two years? Three years? How can there be any argument about this, OF COURSE these devices will last many years in reality.

Physically they're quite robust with very few moving parts - the batteries have a long life expectancy - they'll still be doing all the things they were built to do many years into the future, never mind two or three. You'll be able to pick one up in 10 years and it will still check your email and run whatever apps you have installed.

What may change and limit things over time is iOS support - ultimately a few years down the line your device won't be able to run the latest iOS and because of that there may be some additional features that it doesn't get in the future. None of that changes what it can do TODAY. Until the battery properly dies, your iPad is not going to just stop working because a new model is out.

Just relax and enjoy. If and when some future model with future software does something you want to do and/or your old iPad can't do then you consider upgrading, but don't start counting down some imaginary clock now as if the device you have is set to self destruct - it isn't.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Really though, two years? Three years? How can there be any argument about this, OF COURSE these devices will last many years in reality.

Physically they're quite robust with very few moving parts - the batteries have a long life expectancy - they'll still be doing all the things they were built to do many years into the future, never mind two or three. You'll be able to pick one up in 10 years and it will still check your email and run whatever apps you have installed.

What may change and limit things over time is iOS support - ultimately a few years down the line your device won't be able to run the latest iOS and because of that there may be some additional features that it doesn't get in the future. None of that changes what it can do TODAY. Until the battery properly dies, your iPad is not going to just stop working because a new model is out.

Just relax and enjoy. If and when some future model with future software does something you want to do and/or your old iPad can't do then you consider upgrading, but don't start counting down some imaginary clock now as if the device you have is set to self destruct - it isn't.
I didn't mean physically....

But the expected battery life isn't more than 3/4 years charging it daily

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
I didn't mean physically....

But the expected battery life isn't more than 3/4 years charging it daily

Well most don't charge daily, I'd wager - either way there are many original iPads, now 4 years old, still chugging on. And even a dead battery doesn't have to kill an iPad - apple will replace it for a fixed fee that's still a lot cheaper than a new iPad.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
My wife and older son are still very happy with their iPad 2s, which go back to when it was first introduced. Quite long in the tooth now.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
As others have said it is the growing feature set that you miss out on. We have an iPad 1,2, and 3 in daily use plus an Air and mini retina. Three years at least for the upgrade. Even Macs are suffering the same issues. Longer replacement cycles as there is a minimum of software that really pushes the hardware.

Apple does not usually back proliferate its newest software "features" to older hardware, even if they update the iOS (Siri in the iPhone 4, handoff/ airdrop on 4s etc.) However, the older devices are saddled with reduced performance and lag. Apple knows that people may catch up to not blindly updating iOS and therefore may work extra hard in the future to disable older apps remotely to force hardware upgrades (ala FaceTime).

plusnq

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
Apple does not usually back proliferate its newest software "features" to older hardware, even if they update the iOS (Siri in the iPhone 4, handoff/ airdrop on 4s etc.) However, the older devices are saddled with reduced performance and lag. Apple knows that people may catch up to not blindly updating iOS and therefore may work extra hard in the future to disable older apps remotely to force hardware upgrades (ala FaceTime).

Seem to be contradicting yourself here. The device has the same performance as when you bought it. If you choose to update it then it may have less performance as the new iOS is optimised for newer hardware. As for apps, most developers want to integrate the new features that are available. In fact Apple's developer guidelines, prevent developers from dumping hardware prematurely. At the moment I belive the A5 chip is the required support level by Apple. Developers aren't happy about this but it is hard to say Apple doesn't support legacy hardware for a reasonable length of time.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Seem to be contradicting yourself here. The device has the same performance as when you bought it. If you choose to update it then it may have less performance as the new iOS is optimised for newer hardware. As for apps, most developers want to integrate the new features that are available. In fact Apple's developer guidelines, prevent developers from dumping hardware prematurely. At the moment I belive the A5 chip is the required support level by Apple. Developers aren't happy about this but it is hard to say Apple doesn't support legacy hardware for a reasonable length of time.

I can't think of the contradiction you alluded to. I do agree that users have a choice not to upgrade (realistically iOS 7 onwards) and Apple does want to focus on newer hardware for newer iOS's.

I was just trying to point out that there may not be as many features that people with older hardware "may miss out" - if you do not upgrade. There are features that will not be available for users with older hardware, even if they do upgrade: for various reasons good or bad.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
There are sometimes new features which don't work well on older hardware for obvious reasons and are therefore excluded, but I think it's a stretch to make out that older hardware doesn't get any benefit from newer software. People often point out Siri as the prime example of a feature that was released on the iPhone 4S but "held back" from the iPhone 4, but forget that the 4S hardware was heavily optimised for Siri in ways that the 4 was not - with a revised proximity sensor for raise to speak, noise cancelling technology built into the SOC, dual core processor etc. Yes the 4 could be hacked to run Siri but it could never run it very well, and that's not the experience Apple are aiming for.

More recently it's difficult to think of too many examples where new versions of IOS have held back features from older hardware apart from those instances where clearly the older hardware didn't support it - like camera slo-mo etc. That's nothing to do with software really and everything to do with the capabilities of the hardware. A similar thing happened with older macs which don't have the Bluetooth 4.0 needed for handoff - but my 2009 MacBook Pro can still pick up calls and send texts via continuity now, something I never expected it to do pre Yosemite - and all of this is via a 2012 iPhone 5, not this year's model.

I get why people are resistant to new versions of iOS on their older devices. There is an established tradition that each year, there is one generation of devices (this year it's the iPhone 4S, iPad 2 etc) which are likely on their last release of iOS, and which don't run perfectly on the first .0 release. Typically they get better on the .1 release and there is some more improvement from there. It's a pattern we've seen repeated for the last few years - last year the iPhone 4 was practically killed off by iOS 7.0 before being rescued by a later point release. The point is they do fix these things - it's just a shame they don't optimise them well for these older devices at the start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.