Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Hi all, I recently got an old G5 xserve for basically nothing and figured I could have some fun with it. I have no real use for it and yes I know that something even as cheap as a Mac Mini could outperform it. Either way, I'm looking for ideas of what to use it for.

I was thinking a Minecraft server, which sounds like it could be difficult on the G5..or a local file sharing server. Zero other ideas though. Thoughts?

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I would add an SSD for Mac OS X Server and use the other 2 drive bays for a couple 1 or 2tb hard drives and make it a NAS. But I think you need to add jumpers to the drives to get the G5 to see them.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
I would add an SSD for Mac OS X Server and use the other 2 drive bays for a couple 1 or 2tb hard drives and make it a NAS. But I think you need to add jumpers to the drives to get the G5 to see them.

I was thinking something along these lines if I can't run any decent game servers from it. Maybe I'll go that route if I can find some good deals on hard drives.

Artiss

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2007
I just picked up a similar server. The guy I got it from was wrong with the specs. I was hoping for the Xeon version instead its a G5. I bought it for $40, in the hopes of setting up a minecraft server for my daughter & friends... Sadly Java no longer updates for PPC for the newer versions of Minecraft.

The real kick in the pants it had no OS and Apple Support said its vintage so I am SOL.

Hi all, I recently got an old G5 xserve for basically nothing and figured I could have some fun with it. I have no real use for it and yes I know that something even as cheap as a Mac Mini could outperform it. Either way, I'm looking for ideas of what to use it for.

I was thinking a Minecraft server, which sounds like it could be difficult on the G5..or a local file sharing server. Zero other ideas though. Thoughts?

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
I just picked up a similar server. The guy I got it from was wrong with the specs. I was hoping for the Xeon version instead its a G5. I bought it for $40, in the hopes of setting up a minecraft server for my daughter & friends... Sadly Java no longer updates for PPC for the newer versions of Minecraft.

The real kick in the pants it had no OS and Apple Support said its vintage so I am SOL.

install Debian linux on it and you will have an updated version on java. Whether its good enough for MC i am uncertain.

ChrisFerri

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
New York
I thought about buying a cheap G4 or G5 Xserve to do this.

20091213-img_9488.jpg

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Seems to me.....

as a good Folding@home machine (have to confirm if they develop a PPC client still). Or a file server....

:):apple:

technothug

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2013
I'm running late 2006 Intel it as a small minecraft server fine. Loaded it up with 16 gigs and dedicated most of that RAM to the server. For a small 10 person server, it does the trick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.