Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Jeff Troiano
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
2nd video card, 130w dual cpu's 2009 Mac Pro, power question

Recently found this forum, have a million questions. Been reading lots of different threads getting all kinds of answers to those million questions. Sme I haven't found.

Have a 2009 Mac Pro. Recently flashed the firmware up to 5.1, in preparation for a CPU upgrade. Mines an 8 core, 2.26. Looking to upgrade to dual 3.33 (x5680's I believe).

I have a Quadro 4000 Mac video card installed, and am getting ready to add a GTX 580.

Naturally with the GTX 580, ill be adding a 2nd psu, in the 5.25 bay. And running both cards.

My question is about power.

My current cpu's draw 80w each. The upgraded 3.33's draw 130w each.

When I add my 2nd PSU, which is designed to run 2 gpu cards, would it be a good idea to run both the Quadro, and the GTX off this psu (disconnecting the Quadro power from the macs motherboard), to make the load of jumping up from 80w CPU to 130w CPU?

Does that make any sense, and would it be any help?
Jeff Troiano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Tutor
macrumors 65816
 
Tutor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Suburb of Birmingham, AL - Home of the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Troiano View Post
Recently found this forum, have a million questions. Been reading lots of different threads getting all kinds of answers to those million questions. Sme I haven't found.

Have a 2009 Mac Pro. Recently flashed the firmware up to 5.1, in preparation for a CPU upgrade. Mines an 8 core, 2.26. Looking to upgrade to dual 3.33 (x5680's I believe).

I have a Quadro 4000 Mac video card installed, and am getting ready to add a GTX 580.

Naturally with the GTX 580, ill be adding a 2nd psu, in the 5.25 bay. And running both cards.

My question is about power.

My current cpu's draw 80w each. The upgraded 3.33's draw 130w each.

When I add my 2nd PSU, which is designed to run 2 gpu cards, would it be a good idea to run both the Quadro, and the GTX off this psu (disconnecting the Quadro power from the macs motherboard), to make the load of jumping up from 80w CPU to 130w CPU?

Does that make any sense, and would it be any help?
I once thought the same as you, but found that my 2009->2010 ran better with each GPU's 6 pin power connector connected to the motherboard and each 8 pin connector connected to this:a FSP Group Booster X5 450W Independent/Supplementary SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Dedicated Multi.GPU Power (Newegg -~ $90.00 [ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104054 ) + Tronixin 15 Pin SATA Male to 4 Pin Female IDE HDD Power Cable [ http://us.dinodirect.com/Tronixin-15...FQq0nQodGhMARQ (>$3-4) ]
__________________
21 tweaked/multiOS rendering systems: oTitan RD TE>68; 103K+ CUDA cores; 13K+ ATI Stream PUs; 206 CPU cores. CB11.5-48.5 Win; CB15-3,791 Win; GB2-58K+ Lnx; GB3-71K+ Lnx/49K+ OSX; LuxMark's Sala-12K+.
Tutor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:39 PM   #3
Jeff Troiano
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutor View Post
I once thought the same as you, but found that my 2009->2010 ran better with each GPU's 6 pin power connector connected to the motherboard and each 8 pin connector connected to this:a FSP Group Booster X5 450W Independent/Supplementary SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Dedicated Multi.GPU Power (Newegg -~ $90.00 [ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104054 ) + Tronixin 15 Pin SATA Male to 4 Pin Female IDE HDD Power Cable [ http://us.dinodirect.com/Tronixin-15...FQq0nQodGhMARQ (>$3-4) ]
The FSP Group Booster x5 is the exact unit I was looking at. It's been a while since I installed my Quadro 4000, so I don't remember if it had both a 6 pin and an 8 pin.

Any thoughts on the 130w cpu's am I gambling with them?

Also I'm looking at getting my GTX from macvidcards.com. If in not planning on hooking a monitor up to the gtx, is there another advantage to getting one of these cards over the standard card from a place like newegg?
Jeff Troiano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:51 PM   #4
Tutor
macrumors 65816
 
Tutor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Suburb of Birmingham, AL - Home of the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Troiano View Post
The FSP Group Booster x5 is the exact unit I was looking at. It's been a while since I installed my Quadro 4000, so I don't remember if it had both a 6 pin and an 8 pin.

Any thoughts on the 130w cpu's am I gambling with them?

Also I'm looking at getting my GTX from macvidcards.com. If in not planning on hooking a monitor up to the gtx, is there another advantage to getting one of these cards over the standard card from a place like newegg?
That's not a big gamble. I had them in mine until I replaced them with X5675s and put the X5680s into a pc build. The TDP wasn't a real issue, except that I used SMC fan control to better cool them. If you get a card with more that 2g ram from Newegg, you can make the mod yourself to allow the ram above 2g to be recognized. Just follow MacVidCards' instruction on this forum - just search for it.
__________________
21 tweaked/multiOS rendering systems: oTitan RD TE>68; 103K+ CUDA cores; 13K+ ATI Stream PUs; 206 CPU cores. CB11.5-48.5 Win; CB15-3,791 Win; GB2-58K+ Lnx; GB3-71K+ Lnx/49K+ OSX; LuxMark's Sala-12K+.
Tutor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:22 AM   #5
Jeff Troiano
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutor View Post
That's not a big gamble. I had them in mine until I replaced them with X5675s and put the X5680s into a pc build. The TDP wasn't a real issue, except that I used SMC fan control to better cool them. If you get a card with more that 2g ram from Newegg, you can make the mod yourself to allow the ram above 2g to be recognized. Just follow MacVidCards' instruction on this forum - just search for it.

I quess what I was asking about a MacVidCard.com vs regular card is.....

From what I understand, they install some sort of chip that allows a boot screen. Im trying to figure out what the other benefits are, of the macvidcard over regular? I have no problem paying for their card, just looking to find what benefit, other then getting a boot screen?

Im wondering if thats all it does? and if so, does it matter, when buying, say, a card from a place like new egg, if I dont plan on hooking a monitor up to this card?
Jeff Troiano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Tutor
macrumors 65816
 
Tutor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Suburb of Birmingham, AL - Home of the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Troiano View Post
I quess what I was asking about a MacVidCard.com vs regular card is.....

From what I understand, they install some sort of chip that allows a boot screen. Im trying to figure out what the other benefits are, of the macvidcard over regular? I have no problem paying for their card, just looking to find what benefit, other then getting a boot screen?

Im wondering if thats all it does? and if so, does it matter, when buying, say, a card from a place like new egg, if I dont plan on hooking a monitor up to this card?
Having never purchased a card from macvidcard, I do know what all of the differences would be regarding any particular card purchased elsewhere vs. there. That question is better put to the seller.
__________________
21 tweaked/multiOS rendering systems: oTitan RD TE>68; 103K+ CUDA cores; 13K+ ATI Stream PUs; 206 CPU cores. CB11.5-48.5 Win; CB15-3,791 Win; GB2-58K+ Lnx; GB3-71K+ Lnx/49K+ OSX; LuxMark's Sala-12K+.
Tutor is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some Issues with Dual CPU Upgrade 2009 Mac Pro KBS756 Mac Pro 20 Mar 11, 2014 02:30 PM
2009 Mac Pro and fsp power booster for gtx 580 video card Jeff Troiano Mac Pro 3 Jan 22, 2013 11:33 AM
New Mac Pro Purchase dual CPU question bernuli Mac Pro 6 Dec 29, 2012 03:31 AM
2009 dual CPU board in 2010 Mac Pro nebc100 Mac Pro 2 Sep 30, 2012 07:10 AM
Does Mac Pro 2009 Dual CPU heatsinks fit on Mac Pro 2010 Dual CPU board ? Spacedust Mac Pro 2 Sep 9, 2012 02:45 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC