Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old May 5, 2012, 01:39 AM   #1
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816

Links for discussions occasionally display the wrong page in the thread

Today, I used the advanced search feature to find a message by a particular user from a discussion with several hundred messages. One of the results returned showed the wrong page from the thread. I was quite confused until I manually went to the previous page of the thread and found the message there.

This link displayed page 30 of the thread. However the actual message is on page 29 of the thread (the last entry on page 29).

My guess on what's happening:
  1. The message originally was in the first slot on p. 30.
  2. A message earlier in the discussion got deleted by the mods.
  3. All the messages got bumped down one slot, but the page indexes for messages the got bumped down a page don't get updated.

Do I get a prize for figuring out that scenario?
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 07:04 PM   #2
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingBones View Post
Today, I used the advanced search feature to find a message by a particular user from a discussion with several hundred messages. One of the results returned showed the wrong page from the thread. I was quite confused until I manually went to the previous page of the thread and found the message there.

This link displayed page 30 of the thread. However the actual message is on page 29 of the thread (the last entry on page 29).

My guess on what's happening:
  1. The message originally was in the first slot on p. 30.
  2. A message earlier in the discussion got deleted by the mods.
  3. All the messages got bumped down one slot, but the page indexes for messages the got bumped down a page don't get updated.

Do I get a prize for figuring out that scenario?
I'm not sure, but this could be due to the same thing described in this thread:

Weird glitch, is anyone else experiencing this or just me?
Old May 5, 2012, 07:58 PM   #3
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
I'm not sure, but this could be due to the same thing described in this thread:

Weird glitch, is anyone else experiencing this or just me?
It sounds similar. However, posts have been added to the thread I noted and the index of the message I cited hasn't changed. After searching, the link is still pointing to page 30.

I see the same mis-indexing in the "2012 Macbook Pro Redesign" referenced in that Weird glitch discussion. This search shows one message from that thread, but you will find not that message on page 100 of the thread. The message is the last one on page 99 of the thread.

Last edited by FloatingBones; May 5, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old May 7, 2012, 04:08 PM   #4
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816

Were the admins able to reproduce/re-create the bug? Does the scenario described seem to be the likely cause? Is there a straightforward way to update the search indexes for a thread when a message gets deleted from it?

TIA.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback