Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
people are way to critical in this thread. Let's be honest its a perk to have imessage but folks if you "message" alot get some sort of text pack to go alongside it then if it goes as a text message for the few times the service is down. No biggie.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm not suggesting Apple sticks to hardware.

I'm suggesting that Apple gets out of areas that do nothing to lock-in customers, don't generate any revenue, and don't work properly (and are unlikely to get any better as Apple has a long term proven record of incompetence in those areas).

Apple shut down Ping because it was a bad idea taking away resource from other places. iMessage and Maps are in exactly the same position.
Apple has the cash, they should have no problem getting the proper resources and attention on maps, iCloud etc. I think the way Cook has reorganized Apple (software, services, design, etc.) will yield improvements in the long run. Now that Apple is into these services it would be a disaster to get out of them. Ping is nothing. Apple could easily get out of it and no one cared. Not the same with maps.

CJK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
The Mountain Empire
people are way to critical in this thread. Let's be honest its a perk to have imessage but folks if you "message" alot get some sort of text pack to go alongside it then if it goes as a text message for the few times the service is down. No biggie.

It took over two hours yesterday for one of my iMessages to finally failover to SMS. Hardly "no biggie" for important messages.

Cscottrun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
AppleInsider is reporting that iTunes Match is down this AM. Can anyone confirm that? (I don't have iTunes Match, so I can't myself.)

None too encouraged that these outages seem to be increasing in frequency rather than decreasing. The comments about Apple kind of sucking at online services are quite valid, IMHO. While I like the convenience of iCloud, my critical docs are all on Dropbox (with multiple offline backups, of course).

I can confirm this.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
iMessage still won't work for me... I noticed it was messed up, so I deactivated it to send standard SMS messages... but now I cannot reactivate iMessage

ADDITIONAL: I even turned the phone on and off. Tried WiFi and Cellular

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
never had a problem with iMessage over this weekend, maybe it was an insolated case. I live in New York btw

nicegoogly

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Dont' mean to get all conspiracy theory here but...Apple goes to discontinue the messages beta and now all hell breaks loose.

I remember when they were ramping up iCloud and I had mobile me (I had the .mac before, too) completely wipe out my court calendar and refused to sync. Every time Apple tinkered with the server for the "next big thing" it would cause problems. Cutting off the old messages beta has to be related to something they may have turned off. Maybe, it had to be like this in order to get rid of the beta. Who knows...I am assuming a lot.

As much as I love Apple devices, Apple's response to the outages it "it is not intended for business or commercial purposes" so too bad, so sad when things go down. As for the MobileMe outage, I reminded the Apple technician that while it may not be for "commercial purposes" I paid for it to work, and it should work, right? She actually agreed with me.

As for the posters who say "big deal, buy an SMS plan" and other type nonsense, it has an impact even when you do have one. My texts were getting delayed or not sent at all. I certainly was not receiving them because of the server outage as it did not automatically switch to SMS.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
You mean that service level that not even your cell carrier provides? :rolleyes:

Not to mention, there is no SLA in place between your and Apple.

What?

I never said Apple had an obligation to ME PERSONALLY.... You read into things more than a highschool girlfriend... sheesh.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Apple created iMessages for one reason, and that is for their customers to become so highly dependent on the feature that it becomes difficult for them to abandon the ios platform. iMessages is a part of every apple device, from computers, to ipads, ipods and phones. So when it does break down, it does have an impact on many people. RIM found this out when BBM had it's major failings a few years ago. People did get upset, and did abandon RIM. The problem with BBM was that it wasnt integrated into other devices and computers so it did not have as big of a foot print that iMessages has. iMessages isn't going anywhere now. It is so intertwined with all their products. That's is why they need to have it a high priority when problems do arise.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Apple created iMessages for one reason, and that is for their customers to become so highly dependent on the feature that it becomes difficult for them to abandon the ios platform. iMessages is a part of every apple device, from computers, to ipads, ipods and phones. So when it does break down, it does have an impact on many people. RIM found this out when BBM had it's major failings a few years ago. People did get upset, and did abandon RIM. The problem with BBM was that it wasnt integrated into other devices and computers so it did not have as big of a foot print that iMessages has. iMessages isn't going anywhere now. It is so intertwined with all their products. That's is why they need to have it a high priority when problems do arise.

Exactly.

Seems pretty straightforward to me...

jconey

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
Still can't get it activate on Verizon with the phone number. It works with email though. Any tips?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Not to mention, there is no SLA in place between your and Apple.

This is one problem with enterprises want to use iCloud services. No SLA, no control of data stored. MS is doing better with that respect: they install dedicated hardware for (big) customer with specific SLA. Of course in exchange of heavy $$$.
Wish Apple would offer that too.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
It took over two hours yesterday for one of my iMessages to finally failover to SMS. Hardly "no biggie" for important messages.
Next time just hold the message down if you don't see it say delivered and send as text message. You should always have a backup plan in the digital age. Companies cut too many corners.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.